[comp.benchmarks] NFS client/server performance measurements

exudnw@exud1.ericsson.se (Dave Williams) (05/21/91)

I have a few questions regarding client NFS performance.  Please forgive
my ignorance, but I can't seem to find the RFM to answer these questions.

1) Is there any way for a client to measure the response time for a server
   running normal, everyday tasks?  I know I can run nhfsstones all day
   long, but I want to know how my servers are responding to real loads
   in real time.  My typical client is a diskless SLC sharing a 4/490
   with about 25 others on a subnet.

2) Do NFS writes to a server from a diskless client show up as NFS writes
   (at the server, as seen by nfswatch 3.0) regardless of their type (swap,
   tmpfs, etc...) or are some of these actions "below" the file systems?

3) What tools are available to test NFS and general filesystem throughput?
   I've got iozone and nhfsstone, are there others?  What/where are they?

I'm trying to find out what the limiting factors are for performance in our
environment, and how to fix these (Auspex, Omni/Legato, etc...) any thoughts
on this subject would be welcome.

--
= exudnw@exurchn1.ericsson.se || dnw@ponder.csci.unt.edu  (214)907-7928         =
= David Williams                                                                =

barroso@priam.usc.edu (Luiz Andre Barroso) (05/21/91)

exudnw@exud1.ericsson.se (Dave Williams) writes:

>I have a few questions regarding client NFS performance.  Please forgive
>my ignorance, but I can't seem to find the RFM to answer these questions.

I'd like to add to your question another item:

Is there any way for a system administrator to collect traces of file
system accesses in a network file system like NFS? I mean, in the level
of "opens", "reads" and "writes" to a given file.

Thanks,

Luiz A. Barroso   -- EE-Systems, USC, LA, CA, USA.