[comp.benchmarks] B+ & B* trees

mawwr@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Wayne Read) (05/30/91)

I have just been reading the introductory text "File Structures: An
Analytic Approach" by Betty Salzberg, a very well written book.
In the chapter on B trees, she makes the statement that B+ trees are the
only version used in practice, and that B trees and B* trees (min 66%
storage utilisation) are of theoretical interest only.  Can anyone help
me with references etc - I was under the impression that B* trees were
used in less dynamic situations, where the extra cost of insertions and
deletations are of lesser importance.  Maybe a hybrid B+ &  B* tree is
used in these situations?  Thanks in advance for any replies.
                        Wayne Read

mawwr@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Wayne Read) (05/31/91)

In <1991May31.020643.347@marlin.jcu.edu.au> mawwr@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Wayne Read) writes:

>In <1991May31.013107.29177@marlin.jcu.edu.au> mawwr@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Wayne Read) writes:
>>I have just been reading the introductory text "File Structures: An
>>used in these situations?  Thanks in advance for any replies.
>>                        Wayne Read
  Sorry folks, wrong news group!