[comp.benchmarks] SPEC Benchmarks

cwi@lanl.gov (Craig W Idler) (11/15/90)

Taken from and article in EE times...

The SPEC benchmarks consist of ten tests, mainly large application
programs. Of these, six are concerned with floating-point performance; the
remaining four with integer performance. The time a system takes to run
each test is compared with the time it takes a standard DEC VAX 11/780
(1 Mips machine) to do it.  This yields a SPECratio for each test.
  These separate ratios can be used to generate a single performance
number - the SPECmark. A SPECmark is the geometric mean (the 10th root)
of the product of the 10 SPECratios.

hfp@atari.UUCP (Henry F. Plummer) (06/14/91)

I'm looking for the phone number and contact to reach to obtain the
SPEC benchmarks.  I tried to contact Waterside Associates in Fremont,
CA, but failed to find their phone number through the phone co.

Also, to those of you who are keeping up with the benchmark developments,
what are the current trends in OS and networking benchmarking and
performance analysis.  Are there a set of benchmarks that are not
considered "standard" for these systems?  Please, I'm not asking for
a dissertation on the subject; just a short summary and pointers to
some references.

For those experts in this field, please excuse this inquiry.  I have
not followed the benchmark developments for awhile.

Thanks,

Henry F. Plummer
Atari Corporation

...uunet!cs.utexas.edu!ames!atari!hfp

cprice@mips.com (Charlie Price) (06/15/91)

In article <2960@atari.UUCP> hfp@atari.UUCP (Henry F. Plummer) writes:
>I'm looking for the phone number and contact to reach to obtain the
>SPEC benchmarks.  I tried to contact Waterside Associates in Fremont,
>CA, but failed to find their phone number through the phone co.

The contact information for SPEC is now:

SPEC
c/o Franson & Hagerty
181 Metro Drive, Suite 300
San Jose, CA   95110
TEL: (408) 453-5220
FAX: (408) 453-8723

--
Charlie Price    cprice@mips.mips.com        (408) 720-1700
MIPS Computer Systems / 928 Arques Ave.  MS 1-03 / Sunnyvale, CA   94088-3650

shah@cdsun.fnal.gov (Hemant Shah) (06/29/91)

In article <2960@atari.UUCP>, hfp@atari.UUCP (Henry F. Plummer) writes:
|> I'm looking for the phone number and contact to reach to obtain the
|> SPEC benchmarks.  I tried to contact Waterside Associates in Fremont,
|> CA, but failed to find their phone number through the phone co.
|>
|> Also, to those of you who are keeping up with the benchmark developments,
|> what are the current trends in OS and networking benchmarking and
|> performance analysis.  Are there a set of benchmarks that are not
|> considered "standard" for these systems?  Please, I'm not asking for
|> a dissertation on the subject; just a short summary and pointers to
|> some references.
|>
|> For those experts in this field, please excuse this inquiry.  I have
|> not followed the benchmark developments for awhile.
|>
|> Thanks,
|>
|> Henry F. Plummer
|> Atari Corporation
|>
|> ...uunet!cs.utexas.edu!ames!atari!hfp