[comp.windows.ms.programmer] Displaying GIF images in windows

dsampson@x102a.harris-atd.com (sampson david 58163) (11/01/90)

I was playing around with the WinGIF program last night.  I don't
recall seeing anything in the SDK manuals about importing images in
this file format.  Does anybody know how to bridge between bitmaps
(bmp format) and the GIF file format?

dfs
--

I I               n
------------------------

I I            n
------------------------

I I         n
------------------------

I I     n
------------------------

It takes alot of patience to
train a turtle.
   /
I I n
------------------------

David Sampson                                         Harris Corporation
dsampson@x102a.ess.harris.com                   Gov't Aerospace Systems Divison
uunet!x102a!dsampson                                  Melbourne, Florida

c60c-3fz@web-1a.berkeley.edu (In Sik Rhee) (11/01/90)

In article <DSAMPSON.90Oct31124927@x102a.harris-atd.com> dsampson@x102a.harris-atd.com (sampson david 58163) writes:
>I was playing around with the WinGIF program last night.  I don't
>recall seeing anything in the SDK manuals about importing images in
>this file format.  Does anybody know how to bridge between bitmaps
>(bmp format) and the GIF file format?

Well, I hope I can answer your question.  At this point, I'm 99% finished
with my GIF->BMP->METAFILE filter (PageMaker Standard, so it's compatible
with Word for Windows, PageMaker, etc etc)

SDK does not have ANY support whatsoever for a GIF.  you, the super-duper
programmer-from-hell, must undertake the task...  it's not so bad, once you
get over hacking the LZW to make it work just right...  basically, what
you have to do is a GIF->BMP  , and just download the GIF specs from
compuserve, and you're pretty much all set... just remember to use logical
palettes and everything...

As it stands, my program will allow the user to import a 256-color .GIF
file (I usually try 640x480 or 320x200, but any imagesize should work),
and then proceed to scale the thing, or zoom in on a portion...  (scale
only refers to stretch/shrink along the x/y axis, no skewing, etc (yet!))

Unfortunately, it's commercial code, so I cant give it out freely...

but, if you have any specific questions about DIB's (Device Independent
Bitmaps) or GIF format specs, I'd be happy to answer them for you...