[comp.windows.ms.programmer] COmpilers for win3

scmitch@hardy.u.washington.edu (Scott Mitchell) (11/01/90)

A friend wishes to write windoze3 code withOUT resort to Microsoft C,
specifically, he wants to use Borland Turbo C++. Possible? In any case, does anybody have the complete list of win3 compatible compilers?
=Eric
(206)637-1571
.

strobl@gmdzi.gmd.de (Wolfgang Strobl) (11/02/90)

scmitch@hardy.u.washington.edu (Scott Mitchell) writes:

>A friend wishes to write windoze3 code withOUT resort to Microsoft C,
>specifically, he wants to use Borland Turbo C++. Possible? In any case, does anybody have the complete list of win3 compatible compilers?
>=Eric

As far as I know, Turbo C++ 1.0 is not able to create code compatible
with MS Windows, i.e. there is no way to get it to produce the
MS Windows function prolog/epilog. This may change in future
versions.

The only non MS, Windows compatible C++ compiler I am aware of is
Zortech C/C++ v2.1. I am using it for Windows development.

Of course, there is Glockenspiel C++, but this is a preprocessor, so
you have to buy a C compiler (i.e. MS C6.0), anyway.

Wolfgang Strobl
#include <std.disclaimer.hpp>

johnl@walt.cc.utexas.edu (John Lange) (11/05/90)

MS offers an extra disk with the SDK that is supposed to allow you
to develop Windows programs with alternate compilers.  Neither the one
page of documentation nor the .wri files they send say whether you
can use languages other than C or assembly.  There are no examples
on the disk and no instructions on how to integrate, say, Turbo-C++
to Windows programs.  Basically, the extra disk seems worthless.

At any rate, all you have to do to obtain the disk (assuming you have
already purchased the SDK) is call MS and ask for it.  I read about
it in a small article in InfoWorld a month ago or so.

spolsky-joel@cs.yale.edu (Joel Spolsky) (11/06/90)

In article <39146@ut-emx.uucp>:
>MS offers an extra disk with the SDK that is supposed to allow you
>to develop Windows programs with alternate compilers.
>Basically, the extra disk seems worthless.

The disk is useful if you need things like the Microsoft
segmented-executable linker (link 5.1) which you need to link
windows Apps. It doesn't come with the SDK. Your compiler still needs
to know how to insert windows prolog/epilog code at the beginning and
end of every function, which some do (borland's do NOT).

Joel Spolsky
spolsky@cs.yale.edu                                     Silence = Death