[comp.windows.ms.programmer] Bug in SOUND.DRV -- WDEB386 problem

bcw@rti.rti.org (Bruce Wright) (11/09/90)

In article <1154@larry.sal.wisc.edu>, monty@larry.sal.wisc.edu (Monty Schmidt) writes:

> For anyone who has been playing with the sound calls under windows I believe
> I have found a bug.  <In fact I'm sure of it :) >  If you have been trying
> to use the Sound calls to play whole or half notes in regular mode you will
> find that they don't work right.  You will get a nice pause BLURP .. pause
> BLURP if you try them.  Luckily I have the DDK and found the bug in the
> driver source.  In fact if you put it in Staccato mode and do the same thing
> with any note you will get a MAJOR pause do to an overflow which causes
> note durations to get REALLY mucked.  Apparently this one slipped by the ole
> testers.. looks like they tried short duration notes but not long ones.
> Since I am working on my own sound.drv <and it's working almost wonderfully>
> this doesn't really affect me but I thought I might save someone else some
> headaches.  Legatto mode works fine.. so if you want to use sound calls put
> it in Legatto mode to save yourself some debug time :).

I suspected as much.  I have an application that I wrote under Windows
2.11 which works very nicely under Windows 2.11 (you can set the mode to
Staccato, Normal, or Legato and they all work as expected, plus you can
modify the Tempo and the tempo changes as you would expect).

But under Windows V3.0 none of this works properly.  Not only does it
not change the mode properly (I can't detect any difference between the
modes on Windows V3.0, which is NOT the case on Windows V2.11), but
the tempo is stuck at the default value!!!  The application checks for
all errors and pops up a MessageBox when it gets one, so I know that
Windows isn't reporting any errors (yes, I _have_ generated errors
intentionally so I know that the error detection code works).  Microsoft,
of course, doesn't want to discuss whether Windows has any bugs in the
sound functions (or anywhere else for that matter), though I have gotten
E-mail from someone at Microsoft who said he had heard something about
problems in the sound drivers, but that he's not in the Windows
development or support groups so he can't say anything definitive.

If there are bugs like that in the sound driver, that could explain
the behavior (and also why the behavior on my machine is a bit
different, since the timings may come out differently and the over-
flows happen at different places).  Unfortunately I don't have the
DDK nor access to Microsoft Online so I haven't been able to confirm
the problem.

Does anyone (either at Microsoft or someone who has seen a beta-test
copy) have any idea whether this might be fixed in V3.1???

						Bruce C. Wright