[comp.windows.ms.programmer] HYPERtext apps...any besides Windows Help?

kenc@madmax.Viewlogic.COM (Kenstir) (11/12/90)

Has anyone used or seen Hypertext applications running under Win 3
other than MS's own Help system?

Additionally, has anyone developed On-line help for Windows' help
as well as somebody else's help system?

Thanks, netters!

-----
Kenneth H. Cox
Viewlogic Systems, Inc.
kenstir@viewlogic.com
...!harvard!cg-atla!viewlog!kenstir

--

tomt@ashtate (Tom Tullis) (11/14/90)

In article <1990Nov11.122306@madmax.Viewlogic.COM> kenc@madmax.Viewlogic.COM (Kenstir) writes:
>Has anyone used or seen Hypertext applications running under Win 3
>other than MS's own Help system?

The main hypertext applications for Windows that come to mind immediately
are the following:

    ToolBook (from Asymetrix, phone: 206-455-3071)
    Guide (from Owl International, phone: 800-344-9737)
    KnowledgePro Windows (from Knowledge Garden, phone: 518-766-3000)
    Plus (from Spinnaker Software, phone: 617-494-1200)

There have also been rumors of a hypertext-type application forthcoming
for Windows from Echelon Development Corp in Burlington, Mass.  Maybe they
might unveil something this week at Comdex.

Of the applications listed above, I've used ToolBook and Plus.  I've looked
briefly at KnowledgePro and Guide.  However, I've never used any of these
to try to write on-line help for a Windows app.  I suppose the tricky
part of using one of these tools for that purpose would be whether or not
the tool provides an API that lets you access it appropriately from your
other application when the user requests help.

For more info on these applications you might consider posting a message
on "alt.hypertext".

Tom Tullis
tomt@ashtate.a-t.com

aku@tik.vtt.fi (Arto Kujala) (11/14/90)

In article :123 in comp.windows.ms.programmer:
tomt@ashtate (Tom Tullis)nstir) writes:

>There have also been rumors of a hypertext-type application >forthcoming
>for Windows from Echelon Development Corp in Burlington, Mass.  >Maybe they
>might unveil something this week at Comdex.

Have anybody else heard these rumors? Any other news of this
*hypertext-type application*?

I can not use ToolBook, the 64k card size limit  makes my job
impossible.

--Arto

hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au (Roger Hadgraft) (11/15/90)

In article <5239@hemuli.tik.vtt.fi>, aku@tik.vtt.fi (Arto Kujala) writes:
> In article :123 in comp.windows.ms.programmer:
> tomt@ashtate (Tom Tullis)nstir) writes:
>

>>There have also been rumors of a hypertext-type application >forthcoming
>>for Windows from Echelon Development Corp in Burlington, Mass.  >Maybe they
>>might unveil something this week at Comdex.
>
> Have anybody else heard these rumors? Any other news of this
> *hypertext-type application*?
>
> I can not use ToolBook, the 64k card size limit  makes my job
> impossible.

Have a look at Guide from OWL International.
--
Roger Hadgraft                  |  hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au
Lecturer in Civil Engineering   |

kevinc@cs.athabascau.ca (Kevin Crocker) (11/15/90)

In article <1990Nov11.122306@madmax.Viewlogic.COM> kenc@madmax.Viewlogic.COM (Kenstir) writes:
>Has anyone used or seen Hypertext applications running under Win 3
>other than MS's own Help system?
>
>Kenneth H. Cox

Chcek out both Owl's Guide and Asymetrix's ToolBook

They are both Hypertext products or environemtns.

Kevin
--
Kevin "auric" Crocker Athabasca University
UUCP: ...!{alberta,ncc}!atha!kevinc