[comp.windows.ms.programmer] DEBUGGING TERMINAL

churti@greco.dit.upm.es (Francisco Gutierrez de Churtichaga) (11/07/90)

  I am in the proccess of setting up the SDK in my computer I have a doubt:

  Suppose I have a mono card with monitor in order to use CVW, I am running
the debugging version of windows....

  The AUX device to which the debugging version of windows directs error
messages: Does it has to be a serial terminal?,  Can I use the mono screen
for its output?, What is the AUX device exactly?

  I expect not to need 3 screens for my environment (VGA, mono, terminal), I
just don't have place for them....

Thank you

Francisco Gutierrez de Churtichaga. <churti@dit.upm.es>
Departamento de Ingenieria Telematica. Universidad Politecnica de Madrid. SPAIN

nee@cf_su14.Salomon.Com (Robert Nee) (11/09/90)

In article <395@goya.dit.upm.es>, churti@greco.dit.upm.es (Francisco
Gutierrez de Churtichaga) writes:

>   I am in the proccess of setting up the SDK in my computer I have a doubt:
>
>   Suppose I have a mono card with monitor in order to use CVW, I am running
> the debugging version of windows....
>
>   The AUX device to which the debugging version of windows directs error
> messages: Does it has to be a serial terminal?,  Can I use the mono screen
> for its output?, What is the AUX device exactly?

AUX is synonymous with COM1.  In the debugging version of windows any time
windows senses an error (invalid handles NULL pointers) it does a stack dump
to the AUX device.  The problem with this is that if you don't have a terminal
hooked up to this device windows will not let you proceed.  YOU MUST REBOOT!
Even some commercial "bug free" applications will do this.  Fortunatly I have
a very small device drive that redirects AUX output to the second monitor.
So the answer is YES you can get away with two monitors.  I will post this
device driver (OX.SYS)

Robert Nee

nee@cf_su14.Salomon.Com (Robert Nee) (11/15/90)

Previously I posted that I have a device driver to reroute output
to AUX to a second monochrome monitor.  Alas due to company policy
I cannot access any of the ftp sites.  Since this utility is
exceedingly small you will find it appended to this post.  once
installed you should never again be CRASHED by windows looking
for the AUX device which I bet damn few people have anything
connected to.

Robert Nee

---------------cut--------------------

begin 777 ox.sys
M_____P"(0 !+ $%56" @(" @     *T!60%9 5D![  # 2<!-@%J &H 60%9
M 5D!2P%6 0 / +           "Z,!A0 +HD>$@#+G!X&4%-14E=6_"[$'A(
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M!E@ +J,\ "ZA/@ FAP9: "ZC/@#[6 ?#!C/ CL FH20 +J,X ":A)@ NHSH
>)J%8 "ZC/  FH5H +J,^  <FC$\0)L='#JT!Z7G_

end

dlc@c3.lanl.gov (Dale Carstensen) (11/17/90)

Since sbi.com cannot find "cf_u14" I guess I'll have to mention this by
posting a followup.  Robert, here's how your uuencode file arrived here,
missing two trailing spaces and at least the beginning of the last line,
and who know how many other lines.

|> begin 777 ox.sys
|> M_____P"(0 !+ $%56" @(" @     *T!60%9 5D![  # 2<!-@%J &H 60%9
|> M 5D!2P%6 0 / +           "Z,!A0 +HD>$@#+G!X&4%-14E=6_"[$'A(
|> M)HI' M#@C3X6 #+D _C_)2:+3Q(FQ7<.+L0^- "L/ UW#G10/ IT$SP)=#X\
|> M"'0NJD>!_Z /<C^_  \>!E9748S CM@S_[Z@ +F !_.EN" 'N5  \ZM97UX'
|> M'^L:D('_  ]T$X/O NL.D('/#@"#QP+K!)"_  _BI"Z)/C0 NK0#T>^+Q[ .
|> M[XO'AN"P#^_K;I#H?P"T ,T6)L1_#JHFQD<2 >AN .M7D.AH +0!S19T"B:(
|> M1PWH6P#K1)#H50 NQ!X2 ":!3P,  ^L^D.A$ +0!S19TYN@[ .LDD.@U +0!
|> MS19T!K0 S1;K].@F .L/D+JT [@*"^^X"PSOZP&0+L0>$@ F@4\#  %>7UI9
|> M6U@''YW+!E SP([ ^BZA.  FAP8D "ZC.  NH3H )H<&)@ NHSH +J$\ ":'
|> M!E@ +J,\ "ZA/@ FAP9: "ZC/@#[6 ?#!C/ CL FH20 +J,X ":A)@ NHSH
|> >)J%8 "ZC/  FH5H +J,^  <FC$\0)L='#JT!Z7G_
|>
|> end

And here's how sbi.com feels about cf_u14, in case it might help
somebody get the pathalias data set up for you:
bad system name: cf_u14
uux failed. code 68
550 <cf_u14!nee>... Host unknown

The address I used (after nee@cf_su14.Salomon.Com failed at lanl.gov):
sbi!zeus!cf_su10!cf_u14!nee@uunet.uu.net

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (11/17/90)

In article <128@cf_su20.cf_su10.Sbi.COM> nee@cf_su14.Salomon.Com (Robert Nee) writes:
>Previously I posted that I have a device driver to reroute output
>to AUX to a second monochrome monitor.  Alas due to company policy
>I cannot access any of the ftp sites.  Since this utility is
>exceedingly small you will find it appended to this post.  once
>installed you should never again be CRASHED by windows looking
>for the AUX device which I bet damn few people have anything
>connected to.
>
>Robert Nee

[code deleted]

Alas, uudecode tells me this is a short file.

Can you try again?

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

nee@cf_su14.Salomon.Com (Robert Nee) (11/20/90)

A THOUSAND PARDONS!!!!

I certainly did post a corrupt encoded file.  the problem lies in the
X windows cut and paste functions ignoring trailing spaces which where
necessary on some of the lines.  Here is a repost:

------------------ cut here -------------------
begin 777 ox.sys
M_____P"(0 !+ $%56" @(" @     *T!60%9 5D![  # 2<!-@%J &H 60%9
M 5D!2P%6 0 / +           "Z,!A0 +HD>$@#+G!X&4%-14E=6_"[$'A(
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M!E@ +J,\ "ZA/@ FAP9: "ZC/@#[6 ?#!C/ CL FH20 +J,X ":A)@ NHSH
>)J%8 "ZC/  FH5H +J,^  <FC$\0)L='#JT!Z7G_

end

please ensure that lines 33 and 11 have a trailing space and
that the line before the "end" has one space on it.

Sorry again!

I told you my firm had a strick security policy.  My mail has
to jump through so many hoops just to get to me it usually
barks and chases cars.

Robert Nee