[comp.windows.ms.programmer] DPMI

smith@let.rug.nl (Bart Smith) (11/23/90)

Hello,
This week I finally got the DPMI specifications from Intel. It took me
3 month to get it and I had to pay *$80* for the express-service. That
is NOT what I call "at no charge".

My question is this: I ordered the spec's (Number 240763-001) AND
- Programming examples
- Test suite.
I seem not to have gotten these last two. Can anyone tell me what these
are and are they usefull? I have got the feeling I can't do much with
what I got until now: I want to write an interrupt driven IEEE-interface
under windows (DDL?) and write the userinterface with Actor. Because
DPMI is not documented in the Microsoft-literature I ordered the DPMI-
specifations.

Bart Smith.

roger@bjcong.bj.co.uk (ROGER JAMES) (11/26/90)

In article <1382@gufalet.let.rug.nl> smith@let.rug.nl (Bart Smith) writes:

>- Test suite.
>I seem not to have gotten these last two. Can anyone tell me what these
>are and are they usefull? I have got the feeling I can't do much with
>what I got until now:

I have never seen the other two items, but from windows point of view
the spec is probably the only thing that is useful.

>I want to write an interrupt driven IEEE-interface
>under windows (DDL?) and write the userinterface with Actor.

I hope you have a lot of time and a good hold on sanity, because,
Brother, YOU ARE GOING TO NEED IT :-)
The DPMI is only partially supported under Windows3. If  you are
going to be running in 386 enhanced mode and are looking for fast
interrupt response, you probably also need the 10 interesting pages
out of the DDK documentation. But $xxx dollars is a lot for 10 pages.

The easiest way is probabaly to write all your buffer management and interrupt
handling as a TSR that is loaded before windows. Then do your IO checking via
a polling interface out of the windows VM. If you want to notify your
windows program of events in _nearly_ real time then down load one of the
public domain DOS interrupt lists and look at the new spec for the windows
bit of int 2F.
Good Luck.
--
roger@bj.co.uk 				(UK only)