[comp.windows.ms.programmer] child window handling

zhu@csli.Stanford.EDU (Lei Zhu) (11/27/90)

	I'm writing an application which has a main window containing
the menus and a few other little things, and multiple "document"
windows. Ideally I'd like the document windows to behave like the
subwindows in the program manager, but am having a difficult time
doing that. If I make the document windows popup windows, the main
window loses input focus when any document window becomes active, just
as you'd expect. So I make them child windows, then they almost behave
like the program manager, but none of the child window shows an active
title bar like the program manager does for the current active child
window. Can someone tell me how that's accomplished? I've tried
various window style flags to no avail. Thanks much!

--Lei

Lei Zhu, CSLI/Stanford University| Those who do not remember the past are
Internet: zhu@csli.stanford.edu  | condemned to repeat it.  --George Santayana

spolsky-joel@cs.yale.edu (Joel Spolsky) (11/27/90)

In article <16559@csli.Stanford.EDU> zhu@csli.stanford.edu (Lei Zhu) writes:
>	I'm writing an application which has a main window containing
>the menus and a few other little things, and multiple "document"
>windows.

Use the MDI functionality provided by Windows 3.0, which will
basically do all the work for you. See the MDI chapter in the SDK
programmer's guide, or the August issue of Microsoft Systems Journal.
For example code, see "Multipad" in the SDK sample source code
directory.

Joel Spolsky
spolsky@cs.yale.edu                                     Silence = Death