[comp.windows.ms.programmer] CodeView Problem

airola@cat37.cs.wisc.edu (Darwin Airola) (11/18/90)

Does anyone know if CodeView for Windows 3.0 (CVW) is supposed to show up
on both the 8514 and the VGA monitor?  (I am running it on a PS/2 system.)
Also, I don't know if I am doing something wrong or not, but whenever I
move the mouse, the screen just sort-of flashes.  I cannot seem to use any
of the options or do anything.

 _________________________________/                                           |
|                                 | (1) airola@thor.xraylith.wisc.edu       / |
|       __Electrical and Computer__ (2)      airola@cae.wisc.edu     \  |  /  |
|      /  ,----,  ,----,  ,----,  / (3)  airola@garfield.cs.wisc.edu  \ | /   |
|     /  /       /       /       /| (4) airola@odin.xraylith.wisc.edu  \ /    |
|    /  /----   /       /----  >>>--------------------------------------X     |
|   /  /       /       /       /  |         John 15:9 and 17:          / \    |
|  /  '----'  '----'  '----'  /   | If you obey my commands, you will / | \   |
| /_______Engineering________/    | remain in my love... This is my  /  |  \  |
|                                 | command:  Love each other.      /       \ |
|_________________________________|___________________________________________|

nee@cf_su14.Salomon.Com (Robert Nee) (11/20/90)

when starting CVW specify the /8 command line parameter.  This
tells it you have a 8514/A and a VGA installed.

Robert Nee

adelgado@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Alfredo Delgado Garza) (11/20/90)

Darwin> Does anyone know if CodeView for Windows 3.0 (CVW) is supposed to show up
Darwin> on both the 8514 and the VGA monitor?  (I am running it on a PS/2 system.)

I use:

win cvw /8 appname

and works fine windows in the 8514 and cvw in the vga monitor.

--
Alfredo Delgado Garza.
Internet: adelgado@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx            I.T.E.S.M.

gjh@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Gary Hill) (11/20/90)

In <1990Nov18.001426.28901@daffy.cs.wisc.edu> airola@cat37.cs.wisc.edu (Darwin Airola) writes:

>Does anyone know if CodeView for Windows 3.0 (CVW) is supposed to show up
>on both the 8514 and the VGA monitor?  (I am running it on a PS/2 system.)
>Also, I don't know if I am doing something wrong or not, but whenever I
>move the mouse, the screen just sort-of flashes.  I cannot seem to use any
>of the options or do anything.

I have a vga/8514 system and it works normally with windows on one
monitor, cvw on the other. Are you running your 8514 card with the vga
drivers, I think from what I have seen under this situation you would
be likely to get cvw on both displays. If this is the case, load the
windows 8514 drivers, and make sure that you put the /8 switch on the
cvw command line to tell it you have an 8514/vga setup. You might
also want to try /50 to put cvw into a higher resolution.

Hope this helps.

Gary Hill, gjh@uk.ac.soton.ecs

srb4@cel.co.uk (Steve Brown) (11/28/90)

In article <1990Nov18.001426.28901@daffy.cs.wisc.edu> airola@cat37.cs.wisc.edu (Darwin Airola) writes:
>Does anyone know if CodeView for Windows 3.0 (CVW) is supposed to show up
>on both the 8514 and the VGA monitor?  (I am running it on a PS/2 system.)
>Also, I don't know if I am doing something wrong or not, but whenever I
>move the mouse, the screen just sort-of flashes.  I cannot seem to use any
>of the options or do anything.

Firstly, I apologise if you've seen this before, but I'm not sure if my
my previous article.

There are a number of things to watch out for when using Codeview for
Windows with 8514/A mointors. These are, in no particular order:-

	1. Windows must be set up to for 8514/A mode with the
	   setup program. If you don't do this, the system will
	   crash when you try to use Codeview.

	2. You must specify /8 on the Codeview command line. Failure
	   to do so will result in a tasteful message box saying there
	   is no second monitor attached. (Why can't it detect the 8514
	   automatically?)

	3. If you are running DOS 4.00, the 43 line mode (/43) will
	   not work in 8514 mode if ANSI.SYS is installed.

	4. You may experience problems using the standard retail VGA
	   driver. If this is the case, use the one supplied with the
	   SDK instead.

When Codeview is running correctly, the application being debugged is
displayed on the 8514, while Codeview uses the other monitor. As far as
I know, this is the only way it works.

Using Codeview with Microsoft CV6.0 PWB on my PS/2 70, I have found that
you cannot debug applications from within PWB. Also, on one occasion,
running Windows from within PWB trashed my hard disc when exiting Windows.

I hope this is of help.