[comp.windows.ms.programmer] Bitmaps by reference in help files

jseidman@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (James Seidman) (11/27/90)

Gee, I wish HELPEX had an example of this.  I'm trying to include a few
simple, small, monochrome bitmaps in a .HLP file.  The manual makes it sound
so easy... just put {bmc filename.bmp} in the file, and add the filename to
the [BITMAPS] section of the .HPJ file, and it just works.

Well, not for me.  What I get is the text "{bmc filename.bmp}" in my help
file.  I've tried a bunch of different formatting combinations (in the
manual, "bmc" is bold, and "filename" italic, but they never give any
indication if that's important or not).

I'm certain that it's easy and I'm missing something trivial.  Any help from
someone who has successfully done this would be greatly appreciated!

--
Jim Seidman, Headland Technology, 46221 Landing Parkway, Fremont CA 94538
"If I screw up, I just kill someone.  But if you screw up, they suffer for

spolsky-joel@cs.yale.edu (Joel Spolsky) (11/27/90)

In article <9817@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> jseidman@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (James Seidman) writes:

>Gee, I wish HELPEX had an example of this.  I'm trying to include a few
>simple, small, monochrome bitmaps in a .HLP file.  The manual makes it sound
>so easy... just put {bmc filename.bmp} in the file, and add the filename to
>the [BITMAPS] section of the .HPJ file, and it just works.
>
>Well, not for me.  What I get is the text "{bmc filename.bmp}" in my help
>file.  I've tried a bunch of different formatting combinations (in the
>manual, "bmc" is bold, and "filename" italic, but they never give any
>indication if that's important or not).

don't use the characters '{' and '}'; use the Word for Windows field
characters (which appear on the screen as { and }) which you get by
hitting Ctrl-F9.

Joel Spolsky
spolsky@cs.yale.edu
anybody wanna hire a used Windows programmer?

jls@hsv3.UUCP (James Seidman) (11/29/90)

In article <27417@cs.yale.edu> spolsky-joel@cs.yale.edu (Joel Spolsky) writes:
>don't use the characters '{' and '}'; use the Word for Windows field
>characters (which appear on the screen as { and }) which you get by
>hitting Ctrl-F9.

Gee, what great documentation.  We were somehow supposed to guess what they
meant, it seems.  Anyway, I guess I need to ask a more specific question now:
has anyone managed to include bitmaps by reference with Microsoft Word 5.0?
I tried using the field characters (the chevrons produced with Ctrl-[ and
Ctrl-]) but that didn't do it either.  (It left no chevrons, no text, no
bitmap, not even white space in the help file.)

Also, is there specific formatting for the characters inside the field
characters?  Since the manual doesn't give a screen display, I can't tell
if the bold "bmc" and the italic "filename" are their typographical
conventions or actual formatting instructions.

--
Jim Seidman (Drax), the accidental engineer.
"There's a certain freedom to being completely screwed." - The Freshman