[comp.windows.ms.programmer] TIFF images into windows

wayne@teemc.UUCP (Michael R. Wayne) (11/29/90)

	The (mostly useless) McGraw-Hill Windows Programming book I bought
claims that the SDK lets you import TIFF images.  None of the indicies
mention TIFF.  Can it be done using one of the tools in the SDK (none
of them seem to look for .TIF files)?  Failing that, what is the best
way to import external images?

/\/\ \/\/
--
Michael R. Wayne      ---     TMC & Associates      --- wayne@teemc.tmc.mi.org
         Operator of the only 240 Horsepower UNIX machine in Michigan

spolsky-joel@cs.yale.edu (Joel Spolsky) (11/30/90)

In article <190677@teemc.UUCP> wayne@teemc.UUCP (Michael R. Wayne) writes:

>	The (mostly useless) McGraw-Hill Windows Programming book I bought
>claims that the SDK lets you import TIFF images.  None of the indicies
>mention TIFF.  Can it be done using one of the tools in the SDK (none
>of them seem to look for .TIF files)?  Failing that, what is the best
>way to import external images?

I don't think Windows has any built in functions for reading and
writing TIFF files. However there is a detailed description of the
TIFF file format in the old SDK (version 2.0). Reading and writing
TIFF files is not fun.

What kind of external images do you have? In most cases, if you have
.BMP, .PCX, or .GIF format files you can convert them to .BMP files
(using PaintBrush and gif2bmp, respectively) which the SDK can handle
directly.

Joel Spolsky
spolsky@cs.yale.edu

In some recent article I wrote:

>I don't think Windows has any built in functions for reading and
>writing TIFF files.

I just remembered that version 2.0 of the SDK came with the Hewlett
Packard library for reading and writing TIFF files.

Joel Spolsky
spolsky@cs.yale.edu

mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) (12/01/90)

In article <27479@cs.yale.edu> spolsky-joel@cs.yale.edu (Joel Spolsky) writes:
> Reading and writing
>TIFF files is not fun.

Writing TIFF files is actually trivial. Reading any ONE particular
format of them is easy. But TIFF, very very unfortunately indeed,
defines an infinite number of different formats. It is hard to
cope with that on the read end.

Doug McDonald

lrb@hpfcso.HP.COM (Larry Bruns) (12/01/90)

I realize that Word-For-Windows does not come with the SDK, but I have
successfully imported TIF files (created w/ HP's Drawing Gallery) into
W-F-W using its "Insert" "Picture" command.  From there the picture can
be moved to the clipboard and thence to anywhere else you want.

Larry Bruns