[comp.windows.ms.programmer] WDEB386

gmurray@compulink.co.uk (Graham Murray) (12/01/90)

  Has anyone got this to work properly?

  I have a serial terminal connected, running the debugging version
of
  windows. I am starting WDEB386 with the following command line from
  \windows\system directory

  WDEB386 /C:2 /V /S:krnl386.sym /S:user.sym /S:gdi.sym ..\win.com /3

  This starts Windows and displays all the segment addresses as they
  load. However, at no time am I given ANY prompt to enter commands.
If
  I press ctrl+C when Windows is idle, nothing happens. If I press it
  when the segment adresses are being displayed, it always stops at
the
  same CS:EIP at 28:xxx. On typing G or any other command that I
think
  should cause Windows to continue executing, the computer just
  re-boots!

  I have also tried it with also loading the symbols for an
application
  and quoting the application name after win.com on the command line.
  The application just runs and never offers me a prompt.

  Graham Murray
  gmurray@cix.compulink.co.uk

mojo@netcom.UUCP (Morris Jones) (12/01/90)

gmurray@compulink.co.uk (Graham Murray) writes:
>  WDEB386 /C:2 /V /S:krnl386.sym /S:user.sym /S:gdi.sym ..\win.com /3

Change that to  ^^  /B  ... and it'll give you a break just before
running the MMGR.  That little tidbit was excluded from early versions
of the documentation.  I've never seen the /V switch, is that intentional?
Also ... at the end of that command line, you'll want to add the application
that you are testing.

Mojo

--
mojo@netcom.UUCP          Site Coordinating Instructor, San Jose South
Morris "Mojo" Jones       Skilled Motorcycling And Rider Training (S.M.A.R.T.)

ed@odi.com (Ed Schwalenberg) (12/02/90)

In article <memo.37173@cix.uucp> Graham Murray writes:

    I have a serial terminal connected, running the debugging version of
    windows. I am starting WDEB386 with the following command line from
    \windows\system directory:
    WDEB386 /C:2 /V /S:krnl386.sym /S:user.sym /S:gdi.sym ..\win.com /3
    This starts Windows and displays all the segment addresses as they
    load. However, at no time am I given ANY prompt to enter commands.

You can do one of these things, which are documented in the DDK, 17.6.1:
1. Type CTRL+ALT+SYSRQ on the PC keyboard at any time.  This will invoke a
   breakpoint, and you will be able to talk to WDEB386 on the serial terminal.
2. Put breakpoint instructions (INT 1 or INT 3) in your code.  INT 1's will
   stop after the INT, INT 3's will stop "before" the INT 3.  In either case,
   continuing with "g" or "t" or "p" will work.
3. Generate an NMI.
4. Use the "/b" command-line flag to WDEB386, which will enter the debugger
   when Windows is halfway through initialization.

    If I press ctrl+C when Windows is idle, nothing happens. If I press it
    when the segment adresses are being displayed, it always stops at
    the same CS:EIP at 28:xxx. On typing G or any other command that I think
    should cause Windows to continue executing, the computer just re-boots!

Don't do that, then.  Use ^S^Q to stop and start WDEB386 typeout; use
one of the methods above to enter the debugger.  The documentation in
Tools is awful.

If you have the DDK, be sure to run the version of WIN386.EXE that comes
with it.  It has lots of nifty debugging features, some of which are
obviously helpful and others which are tantamount to an ADVENTURE game.

huang@stbimbo.UUCP (Jim Huang) (12/03/90)

In article <memo.37173@cix.uucp> gmurray@compulink.co.uk (Graham Murray) writes:

>  Has anyone got this to work properly?

>  WDEB386 /C:2 /V /S:krnl386.sym /S:user.sym /S:gdi.sym ..\win.com /3
>
>  This starts Windows and displays all the segment addresses as they
>  load. However, at no time am I given ANY prompt to enter commands.
>If
>  I press ctrl+C when Windows is idle, nothing happens. If I press it

     Press Ctrl-Atl-Sys Rq, it can give you prompt any time.

					   Jim Huang