[comp.windows.ms.programmer] WindowMaker by Candlelight

ff11@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (12/01/90)

Has anyone used WindowsMaker from Candlelight Software?  The product is
supposed to create "c" code for the massive Windows overhead codelines
which need to be created.  Any personal experiences you would care to share
are appreciated.

Michael Keefe
University of North Texas

kea@kasoft.UUCP (Ken Anderson) (12/05/90)

ff11@vaxb.acs.unt.edu writes:

> Has anyone used WindowsMaker from Candlelight Software?  The product is
> supposed to create "c" code for the massive Windows overhead codelines
> which need to be created.  Any personal experiences you would care to share
> are appreciated.

(I tried to mail this but it bounced)

I had the opportunity to play around with WindowsMaker at a trade show recently.
I was almost convinced to buy... but while explaining what it did to another
consumer, I realized that it didn't do a whole lot.

It does:
- let you design menus and attach accelerator keys according to SAA/CUA suggestions.
- let you try out your menus.
- write a code skeleton using your menu choices & calling the functions that
you listed for each menu choice.
- manage all those stupid #define ... crazy-number header files. This always
strikes me as a cop-out that MS didn't support enums in the resource compiler.
Then the compiler could assign all the magic numbers. Sigh.

It appears to:
- do dialogs (by just invoking DIALOG, of course)
- do ICONS (by invoking SDKPAINT)

It certainly will save time if you must design LOTS of menus, or if you
believe in magic.

The skeleton it produces looks a lot like all the examples that SDK gives you
with the message - 'please re-use this skeleton.'

IMHO,
What we need to help us:

- a system that starts here, but includes lots of functions, like
a pre-built dialog that gets a filename (with a choice of 1 listbox, or
2 for separate file & directory lists).

- DLLs with nifty controls that we are all probably re-inventing as I type.

ken.
--
Ken Anderson, kea@kasoft.UUCP, 416-274-6244 (fax:416-891-2715)
---

miked@banyan.UUCP (Mike Deem@Eng@Banyan) (12/07/90)

In article <NiFoT1w163w@kasoft.UUCP> kea@kasoft.UUCP (Ken Anderson) writes:
>What we need to help us:
>
>- a system that starts here, but includes lots of functions, like
>a pre-built dialog that gets a filename (with a choice of 1 listbox, or
>2 for separate file & directory lists).
>
>- DLLs with nifty controls that we are all probably re-inventing as I type.
>
>ken.

Checkout Resource Workshop by EdenSoft. I use it (that's my only connection
to EdenSoft) and it works very well. It lets you design menus, dialogs, fonts,
icons, and bitmaps without resorting to MS tools. It dosn't generate C code,
but does help you manage your ID include files. It dosn't come with any nifty
controls.

EdenSoft can be reached at (415) 451-4319.