[comp.windows.ms.programmer] Debugging Windows bug??

iam@waikato.ac.nz (Ian McDonald) (12/06/90)

I am wondering if there is a known bug with the debugging version of Windows
3.0.  I have been using that version and my program kept dying with a System
Error Box which said "Cannot read from device AUX" and gace the options of
Cancel or Retry - pressing either caused the message to show again.  After a
lot of frustration trying to work out what was going on I decided to try the
non-debugging version - just in case it made a difference.  It did!! My program
ran fine!!

Does anybody have ANY clue about this??  If you mail me I can't mail back
replies to you - I only have posting rights in Usenet - not mail.
Ian McDonald  |
52 Cook Street|
Hamilton      |   This space free for advertising !!
New Zealand   |
+64-71-563438 |   I can receive mail but can't reply to it.

spolsky-joel@cs.yale.edu (Joel Spolsky) (12/07/90)

In article <2439.275e28c1@waikato.ac.nz> iam@waikato.ac.nz (Ian McDonald) writes:
>I am wondering if there is a known bug with the debugging version of Windows
>3.0.  I have been using that version and my program kept dying with a System
>Error Box which said "Cannot read from device AUX" and gace the options of
>Cancel or Retry - pressing either caused the message to show again.

the debugging version of windows is trying to write an error message
out the communications port. You are supposed to have a terminal
plugged in there. If you have a mono monitor but no terminal, somebody
posted a device driver ox.sys here that redirects the AUX output to
the mono monitor.

Joel Spolsky
spolsky@cs.yale.edu                                     Silence = Death