[comp.windows.ms.programmer] xterm equivalent

hughes@locusts.Berkeley.EDU (Eric Hughes) (12/07/90)

Is there an xterm equivalent application for Windows?  It would
be able to run generic DOS programs with stdin, stdout, stderr
all mapped properly, e.g. grep.

Eric Hughes
hughes@ocf.berkeley.edu

In article <HUGHES.90Dec6083449@locusts.Berkeley.EDU> I wrote:
>Is there an xterm equivalent application for Windows?  It would
>be able to run generic DOS programs with stdin, stdout, stderr
>all mapped properly, e.g. grep.

I did not make myself clear in this posting.

1) I am looking for a Windows application, not a DOS program that will
run under Windows.  This rules out COMMAND.COM.  (I know how to invoke
command.com and swap it back and forth--that's not what I'm looking
for.)

2) I consider this a programming tool in the same class as make, grep,
and lint, i.e. basic.

3) I don't need the capability to launch Windows applications, nor
ill-behaved DOS programs (esp. direct screen writes).

4) Output would appear in a window with all the other windows, in
a system-standard font.

I'm not yet familiar enough with Windows to know if such a thing could
exist.  Enlightenment?

Eric Hughes
hughes@ocf.berkeley.edu

jarober@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Robertson James ) (12/08/90)

hughes@locusts.Berkeley.EDU (Eric Hughes) writes:

>Is there an xterm equivalent application for Windows?  It would
>be able to run generic DOS programs with stdin, stdout, stderr
>all mapped properly, e.g. grep.

>Eric Hughes
>hughes@ocf.berkeley.edu

	Well, you can try setting command.com up to run from a window by
using the pif-editor. That's what I did and I use the DOS window just like
I use an Xterm window.

				Jim Robertson

--
Jim Robertson,   INET: jarober@warper.jhuapl.edu, jarober@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu
Johns Hopkins Univ./APL   UUCP: {backbone!}mimsy!aplcen!jarober