[comp.windows.ms.programmer] File manager messages

jseidman@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (James Seidman) (12/10/90)

Does anyone happen to know about the messages that FileMan sends/receives
when you "drag a file" to another app (like ProgMan)?  At least some of the
following defines from windows.h seem to be relevant:

#define WM_DROPOBJECT       0x022A
#define WM_QUERYDROPOBJECT  0x022B
#define WM_BEGINDRAG        0x022C
#define WM_DRAGLOOP         0x022D
#define WM_DRAGSELECT       0x022E
#define WM_DRAGMOVE         0x022F

There are also a bunch of WM_USER+x messages I see passed around when I use
Spy.  None of this seems to be documented in the SDK.  Is there any
documentation on these messages, or has anyone slugged though and figured
them out?  Any help would be appreciated!

--
Jim Seidman, Headland Technology, 46221 Landing Parkway, Fremont CA 94538
"It doesn't need to work.  They'll be paralyzed laughing at me."

spolsky-joel@cs.yale.edu (Joel Spolsky) (12/10/90)

In article <10056@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> jseidman@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (James Seidman) writes:

>Does anyone happen to know about the messages that FileMan sends/receives
>when you "drag a file" to another app (like ProgMan)?

These are not documented because Microsoft doesn't want you to use
them. I understand this is because the next release of Windows will
implement dragging between apps in a completely different fashion that
will not be compatable with the current protocol. I also understand
that this protocol will be more general than the current method and
will be documented.

Joel Spolsky
spolsky@cs.yale.edu

gyugyi@earthsea.stanford.edu (Paul Gyugyi) (12/11/90)

(James Seidman) writes:

|> Does anyone happen to know about the messages that FileMan
sends/receives
|> when you "drag a file" to another app (like ProgMan)?  At least some
of the
|> following defines from windows.h seem to be relevant:

Alas, it's time for a new set of letters:
RTFRMF
(..read me files).  The grab & drag codes are documented in a .txt file
with the SDK.  They are not officially documented because msoft
reserves
the right to change them in the future, hopefully to make them more
standard
& work with other applications.

--
Paul Gyugyi