[comp.windows.ms.programmer] out of selectors ??

emsrssn@cc.brunel.ac.uk (Stefan Nahajski) (12/04/90)

What does this mean?  In my application, I don't go anywhere near
AllocSelector etc.. but perhaps GlobalAlloc does?  Anyone got any
ideas?

Anyone know of any network card/Sockets libraries for windows?

Stef

chrisg@microsoft.UUCP (Chris GUZAK) (12/13/90)

In article <1908@Terra.cc.brunel.ac.uk> emsrssn@cc.brunel.ac.uk (Stefan Nahajski) writes:
>What does this mean?  In my application, I don't go anywhere near
>AllocSelector etc.. but perhaps GlobalAlloc does?  Anyone got any

Yes!  GlobalAlloc() consumes selectors!  Read your docs.  Under standard
mode you get something like 4k selectors, in enhanced 8k.  That means
you can't alloc more than that many global objects (note, windows
uses some itself).  Any program that reaches this limit is written
wrong.  On x86 you have to be aware of the number of selectors
available.

Chris