[comp.windows.ms.programmer] Problem with low resources!!!

cp@joker.mil.ufl.edu (Costas Papas) (12/07/90)

Programming with Windows 3.0 presents many challenges.  We have recently
come across some

- In our application, after opening around 15 modeless dialog boxes
	(with styles set to ~CS_SAVEBITS) and around 100 small windows
	(about 15x80 pixels in size, also with ~CS_SAVEBITS), Windows
	starts to not repaint all the screen!  I switch to the Program
	Manager and it shows 650K free memory left (GlobalCompact confirms
	this), but only around 14% of free system resources.
	What does this mean?  Are we creating too many windows?

- A rumor I heard was that I could run Windows 3.0 on my
	HP Vectra QS/20 with just 2M of memory.  Is this the case?
	Running "win/e" only brings up the system in Standard mode.
	Do I need some particular memory drivers to do this?

Thanks,
Keith

Please respond to cp@beach.cis.ufl.edu

richardh@hpopd.HP.COM (Richard Hancock) (12/07/90)

/ hpopd:comp.windows.ms.programmer / cp@joker.mil.ufl.edu (Costas Papas) /  6:36 am  Dec  7, 1990 /

- A rumor I heard was that I could run Windows 3.0 on my
	HP Vectra QS/20 with just 2M of memory.  Is this the case?
	Running "win/e" only brings up the system in Standard mode.
	Do I need some particular memory drivers to do this?

It sounds like you don't have enough memory.

I re-read TFM, which says "you'll need at least 1024K of extended memory" to
run in enhanced mode. Are you perhaps converting some of your 1024K extended
to expanded using EMM386?

Richard.

bdlepla@caen.engin.umich.edu (Bryan Dennis Lepla) (12/14/90)

In article <28660008@hpopd.HP.COM>, richardh@hpopd.HP.COM (Richard Hancock) writes:
> / hpopd:comp.windows.ms.programmer / cp@joker.mil.ufl.edu (Costas Papas) /  6:36 am  Dec  7, 1990 /
>
> - A rumor I heard was that I could run Windows 3.0 on my
> 	HP Vectra QS/20 with just 2M of memory.  Is this the case?
> 	Running "win/e" only brings up the system in Standard mode.
> 	Do I need some particular memory drivers to do this?
>
> It sounds like you don't have enough memory.
>
> I re-read TFM, which says "you'll need at least 1024K of extended memory" to
> run in enhanced mode. Are you perhaps converting some of your 1024K extended
> to expanded using EMM386?
>
> Richard.

OKAY Granted Microsoft could have made this a little clearer.
win /r = real mode
win /s = standard mode
win /e = enhanced mode? WRONG!
/e /l /n are for extended memory.
/3 puts windows in enhanced mode.

Pretty basic stuff, especially when command line arguments is in the index.
Look at pages 428 to 430. Yes really read the F-----G manual!!!!!!

--
| Bryan D. LePla                      |"Now your life's no longer empty.     |
| bdlepla@caen.engin.umich.edu        | Surely Heaven waits for you!         |