[comp.windows.ms.programmer] Building RTF files with any old text processor

bert@helix.nih.gov (Bert Tyler) (12/19/90)

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) writes:

>Indeed, the RTF format is ASCII, but there it's RIDICULOUS to think of
>writing real help documents (100-200K) in RTF by hand!  Right now, I think
>WfW is the best bet.

Hmm - I did just that when building WINFRACT, but then again there are
a lot of people that would say that just confirms your hypothesis <grin>.

The problems were that 1) I had already spent enough money on Windows
programming for the near term ($49 for the WIN 3.0 upgrade, $350 for the
SDK, and another $400 for the extra 4MB of RAM) just so that I could build
a WinApp that I intended to give away for free, and 2) after many years of
using WordStar (am I dating myself here?) had finally figured out what all
the control keys did.  Blowing another couple of hundred on a new word
processor and then having to learn how to use it strictly for the purposes
of writing online documentation for the silly Winapp was a bit too much to
deal with.

Anyhow, I grabbed an RTF file from the SDK, stripped it down to its
essentials, and started typing away.  Worked fine - all the ugly parts
are because I don't write very well, not because I used the wrong word
processor.