[comp.windows.ms.programmer] Help with windows SDK!!

davidw@csuf3b.CSUFresno.EDU (David Warness) (12/10/90)

Hello Netters!!

   I'm fairly new to programming in windows, and I have two questions
   that I just can't seem to get answered.

   1) Is it possible to hidden page animation?  I have a few programs that
      I would like to write in windows that would need this feature.
      If not, does anyone know of any little tricks where this could be
      simulated?

   2) Is it possible to write a program that can run in dos and in Windows?
      What I mean is:  Can my program check to see if windows is present.
      If so, it will use windows.  If not, it will use a less professional
      looking form of interaction.  If a program can't run in both dos and
      Windows is possible to make windows apart of my program?  I've seen
      programs such as Excel and Aldus Page Maker do this.

aTdHvAaNnKcSe

davidw.

Please reply to:

   davidw@csufres.csufresno.edu

spolsky-joel@cs.yale.edu (Joel Spolsky) (12/10/90)

In article <1990Dec9.204159.4199@csuf3b.CSUFresno.EDU> davidw@csuf3b.UUCP (David Warness) writes:
>   1) Is it possible to hidden page animation?  I have a few programs that
>      I would like to write in windows that would need this feature.
>      If not, does anyone know of any little tricks where this could be
>      simulated?

Well, you could use CreateCompatableDC to get a device context that is
in memory, not on screen, and then bitblt that onto the screen for the
animation effect. Not as fast as page switching but it should do the
trick (unless you have very large images to animate).

>   2) Is it possible to write a program that can run in dos and in Windows?

Yes. Write the Windows and the DOS versions, then use the DOS version
as the stub of the Windows program. The "stub" of a windows program is
usually a very short .EXE that says "This Program Requires Microsoft
Windows" but it could be any program , including a full-blown text
version of your program.

>      If a program can't run in both dos and
>      Windows is possible to make windows apart of my program?  I've seen
>      programs such as Excel and Aldus Page Maker do this.

Not anymore. Windows 3.0 does not have a run-time version.

Joel Spolsky
spolsky@cs.yale.edu

patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) (12/18/90)

In article <1990Dec9.204159.4199@csuf3b.CSUFresno.EDU> davidw@csuf3b.UUCP (David Warness) writes:
>Hello Netters!!
>   1) Is it possible to hidden page animation?  I have a few programs that
>      I would like to write in windows that would need this feature.
>      If not, does anyone know of any little tricks where this could be
>      simulated?

You can load bitmaps into memory, and draw to memory bitmaps so it would be
possible to do hidden page animation.

>   2) Is it possible to write a program that can run in dos and in Windows?

It's not really possible to do what you want in one program since a Windows
program depends on the entry point being WinMain and a DOS program depends
on main.  There isn't a convenient (or possible) way to make a program that
could support the two different styles of entry.
--
"What's in a name?  That which we call a rose by any other name would smell
 as sweet."             William Shakespeare

hans@pine.circa.ufl.edu (Hans van Oostrom) (12/19/90)

In article <1990Dec18.045307.18834@chinet.chi.il.us>, patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) writes...
>In article <1990Dec9.204159.4199@csuf3b.CSUFresno.EDU> davidw@csuf3b.UUCP (David Warness) writes:
>>
>>   2) Is it possible to write a program that can run in dos and in Windows?
>
>It's not really possible to do what you want in one program since a Windows
>program depends on the entry point being WinMain and a DOS program depends
>on main.  There isn't a convenient (or possible) way to make a program that
>could support the two different styles of entry.
>--

This can be done by writing the program without windows in any
language you like, compile it to a .exe and specify it in your windows
program's .def file instead of winstub.exe.
winstub.exe is a little program that tells you that you need windows
to run a windows program.  You can change this to be anything you
want.  It might be some double work, but DOS and Windows are totally
different environments.

Hans van Oostrom
PO Box J-254, JHMHC                 hans@ufpine                (BITNET)
Gainesville, FL  32601, USA         hans@pine.circa.ufl.edu    (INTERNET)