[comp.windows.ms.programmer] Link 5.10 Problem

gkrone@naitc.naitc.com (Gary Krone) (12/21/90)

Greetings All,

We are having trouble with Microsoft Link 5.1 on a large Windows
project ( 60+ source files ).  The problem didn't show up until
we hit around 59 source files.  When linking this project while
logged onto our Novell network we get an L1087 error: unexpected
end-of-file on scratch file.  We get this error and a lot of
garbage on the screen.  It also looks like the linker creates
about five temporary files all with the same name before we get
this error.  Maybe they should move that statement out of that
loop.  :-)

Microsoft blames it on Novell taking up file handles, but
shouldn't increasing the number of files fix this?  They also
told us not to remove our hard disk while linking.

We recieved an upgrade of the linker to version 5.13 but that
doesn't seem to help.  The docs that came with the upgrade said
they made a workaround that took care of L1085 errors.

Has anyone encountered this before or know of a solution?  We can
still link if we log off of Novell but I can see that becoming a
pain real quick.

E-mail or Post I try to keep up with both.

Gary Krone
gkrone@bbs.naitc.com

brent@well.sf.ca.us (Brent Southard) (12/23/90)

In article <1990Dec20.202200.10633@naitc.naitc.com> gkrone@bbs.NAITC.COM (Gary Krone) writes:
>We are having trouble with Microsoft Link 5.1 on a large Windows
>project ( 60+ source files ).  The problem didn't show up until
>we hit around 59 source files.  When linking this project while
>logged onto our Novell network we get an L1087 error: unexpected
>end-of-file on scratch file.

We had the same problem too, albeit with an even larger (@180 files)
project.  The only solution for us was to buy OptiLink/Windows from SLR
Systems.  This was perhaps the best purchase we ever made!  Links are MANY
times faster, and never encounter the problems that Link did.  Not only
that, but the program is half Link's size!  It seems Link has problems
keeping files open when not necessary, hence you run out of file handles.
Note that setting your FILES limit in config.sys won't help -- the limit
is imposed on the Link executable itself.

Buy OptiLink today.  You'll be glad you did!

brent

--
brent southard  (313) 643-1971   |   usenet:  ...!well!brent
ImageTech Corp  (313) 353-7900   |   bix:     brent

"When frog licking is outlawed, only outlaws will lick frogs."

arybicki@dhw68k.cts.com (Adam Rybicki) (12/27/90)

In article <22306@well.sf.ca.us> brent@well.sf.ca.us (Brent Southard) writes:
>In article <1990Dec20.202200.10633@naitc.naitc.com> gkrone@bbs.NAITC.COM (Gary Krone) writes:
>>We are having trouble with Microsoft Link 5.1 on a large Windows
>>project ( 60+ source files ).  The problem didn't show up until
>>we hit around 59 source files.  When linking this project while
>>logged onto our Novell network we get an L1087 error: unexpected
>>end-of-file on scratch file.
>
>We had the same problem too, albeit with an even larger (@180 files)
>project.  The only solution for us was to buy OptiLink/Windows from SLR
>Systems.  This was perhaps the best purchase we ever made!  Links are MANY
>times faster, and never encounter the problems that Link did.  Not only
>that, but the program is half Link's size!  It seems Link has problems
>keeping files open when not necessary, hence you run out of file handles.
>Note that setting your FILES limit in config.sys won't help -- the limit
>is imposed on the Link executable itself.
>
>Buy OptiLink today.  You'll be glad you did!
>
>brent

Actually, the problem is not all that fatal.  The error L1087 occurs when
the device to which you have assigned your TMP directory runs out of space.
If your TMP is in the RAM drive (good idea for improving the link time), make
sure that whenever you have your network running that the drive letter
for RAM drive does not conflict with your network drives.

If you can afford the extra RAM, try to do your links IN RAM DRIVE.  The
improvement in speed can be dramatic.

Adam Rybicki
arybicki@dhw68k.cts.com