[comp.windows.ms.programmer] Adding a font to an application

todd@ivucsb.sba.ca.us (Todd Day) (12/17/90)

I am trying to add a 10 character LCD number font to one
of my applications.  However, I can't seem to get it to
work.  I've linked it into my application via the resource
compiler (I've found some of the strings from the font
header in my .EXE, so I know it's there).  However, whenever
I try to use CreateFont to grab it, it comes back with some
other font.  I really hate the way Windows handles fonts.
Why doesn't it just tell you it couldn't find the font you
were looking for instead of handing you what you didn't
want in the first place?

I don't want to compile it into a system-wide loadable font.
I just want it to go with my application.

Ahhhh...  I think it just hit me...  Do I have to somehow
load it into system font area?  Will Windows be able to find
it in my resource area?  Help!

--
Todd Day |   todd@ivucsb.sba.ca.us   |  ucsbcsl!ivucsb!todd

** Ask me about the August, 1991, Gold Rush mini-rallye! **

chrisg@microsoft.UUCP (Chris GUZAK) (12/30/90)

In article <1990Dec17.043126.8415@ivucsb.sba.ca.us> todd@ivucsb.sba.ca.us (Todd Day) writes:
>I am trying to add a 10 character LCD number font to one
>of my applications.  However, I can't seem to get it to
>work.  I've linked it into my application via the resource
>compiler (I've found some of the strings from the font

Just because your font is in your exe doesn't mean it
is available for use in the system.  You need to
AddFontResource() the thing.  You might even be able
to AddFontResource(GetModuleName(hInst)) (wrong syntax,
but you get the idea).  It is probably a better idea to
keep the font file seperate.  If you wan't to
make sure you got the font you asked for (instead
of relying on the font mapper (randomizer)) use GetFaceName()
(or whatever it is called).  Check that against the
lfFaceName field you passed in.

Chris Guzak