[comp.windows.ms.programmer] LINK 3.65 weirdness

spolsky-joel@cs.yale.edu (Joel Spolsky) (01/12/91)

In article <27818.278de3f3@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> huxtable@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>I just received the MicroSoft Windows 3.0 SDK and installed it on my
>Zenith 386 SX.  I have had MicroSoft C 5.10 and MicroSoft Link 3.65
>for some time.  The linker came with the compiler.  The manual says
>that all that is needed is MicroSoft C 5.1 (I assume that is 5.10...).

You need version 5.1 of the linker. If you can't find it call
Microsoft and ask for the supplemental compilers diskette which is
free.

Isn't this a faq? if not it should be...

--
Joel Spolsky          // And these streets, Quiet as a sleeping army
spolsky@cs.yale.edu   // Send their battered dreams to heaven.   _Paul Simon

huxtable@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (01/15/91)

In article <27818.278de3f3@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, huxtable@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
> I have a mystery.

Thanks to all who responded.  I needed the segmented executable linker
rather than the overlay linker.  I'm going to look at the
documentation some day (hah!) and see if I can glean this knowledge
thence.

Anyway, it works now.  Thanks again.

--
Kathryn Huxtable
huxtable@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

richgi@microsoft.UUCP (Richard GILLMANN) (01/15/91)

In article <27818.278de3f3@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> huxtable@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>I just received the MicroSoft Windows 3.0 SDK and installed it on my
>Zenith 386 SX.  I have had MicroSoft C 5.10 and MicroSoft Link 3.65
>for some time.  The linker came with the compiler.  The manual says
>that all that is needed is MicroSoft C 5.1 (I assume that is 5.10...).

C 5.1 came with two linkers: LINK 3.65 and LINK 5.01.  For Windows and
OS/2 programs, you must use LINK 5.01.  LINK 3.65 is for DOS only.