[comp.windows.ms.programmer] Writing Windows Help Files

uad1031@dircon.uucp (Julian Templeman) (01/10/91)

Catching up with news after Christmas, I find that....

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) writes:

>Indeed, the RTF format is ASCII, but there it's RIDICULOUS to think of
>writing real help documents (100-200K) in RTF by hand!  Right now, I
think
>WfW is the best bet.

Having spent loadsamoney on the SDK, and various other bits (like C 6.
0),
we (ie. the boss) rather objected to shelling out a lot more for a
word-processor that we wouldn't use for anything else but help files.

My approach was to write a small troff-like text processor which reads
ASCII files and produces an RTF file which HC will happily use. As well
as the help-specific items (context strings, keywords etc), enough
formatting commands are included to enable me to produce reasonable-
looking help screens. So far it supports everything except build tags
(including bitmap placement), and is proving quite a useful tool for
medium-size help systems.

In fact, it turns out that Word will also accept the RTF files produced,
which was a surprise to me - it seems that most of the junk at the
start of an RTF file is optional. Thus, if we do get a copy of WfW later,
I can port the files over.

Even though this was just a quick hack (1.5 days) to get my help files
written for our first exploratory Windows port, having tried a borrowed
copy of Word, I'm finding this approach much more comprehensible, and
worth developing.

julian
Julian Templeman                           Baker Jardine & Associates
Tel: +44-81-371-5644                          London SW6 4TJ, England
Fax: +44-81-371-5182                            ...ukc!dircon!uad1031

jimad@microsoft.UUCP (Jim ADCOCK) (01/16/91)

In article <1991PMWed.09.8666@dircon.uucp> uad1031@dircon.uucp (Julian Templeman) writes:

|Catching up with news after Christmas, I find that....
|
|John R. Burgoyne <burgoyne@eng.umd.edu> writes:
|> Has anyone successfully created other than trivial .RTF
|> files using something other than one of the Word family
|> of word processors?
|
|tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) writes:
|>
|>Indeed, the RTF format is ASCII, but there it's RIDICULOUS to think of
|>writing real help documents (100-200K) in RTF by hand!  Right now, I
|think
|>WfW is the best bet.

After suggesting MSWorks as one option, I realized there is an even
cheaper way for people to get their feet wet making small RTF documents:
namely get a copy of TryWord -- the "working model" of WfW.  The major
restriction of the working model seems to be to restrict document
sizes as typed in or printed to 7K characters [the RTF expansions can be bigger]
This limits one to a typical 3-4 page document.  Other than that, the
working model seems to be quite close in functionality and appearance to
"the real thing."

$10 from MS
$30 included with the "Learn Word for Windows Now" text.

Disclaimer:  obviously, this offer is made by MS in the hopes that one
will decide to spend the money to get the unrestricted "full" version of WfW.
In posting this suggestion, I am also hoping most people will come to this
decision.

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) (01/17/91)

Jim ADCOCK <jimad@microsoft.UUCP> writes:
> After suggesting MSWorks as one option, I realized there is an even
> cheaper way for people to get their feet wet making small RTF documents:
> namely get a copy of TryWord -- the "working model" of WfW.  [...]
> $10 from MS

And yet another option: Ami Professional is now available for $129 with the
disk or manual page from Word, WordPerfect, MultiMate or few other word
prcessors.  (I never thought I'd suggest a Lotus product on the net...)
It supports RTF, and I briefly entertained the idea of getting a copy
myself, but non-MDI apps are really annoying!  :)  I'll stick with WfW...

[ \tom haapanen --- university of waterloo --- tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu ]
[ "i don't even know what street canada is on"               -- al capone ]