[comp.windows.ms.programmer] FAQ & MKS

jamie@macadam.tmc.edu (Jamie Purcal x8522 C5C-430 Accounting Jamie Finance) (01/04/91)

Answer 13 in the FAQ suggests that the MKS alias for Windows should be:
	alias -x win="C:\\usr\\windows\\win.com"
This doesn't seem to work: it appears that the double \s are translated
to single slashes in the stored alias, and then treated as escape chars
on execution of the alias.  To fix this use
	alias -x win="c:\\\\usr\\\\windows\\\\win.com"
I'm having a couple of other problems with the MKS shell:
1.  I can't invoke multiple (windowed) versions of the MKS shell from
	386 enhanced mode without causing severe misbehaviour:  this is
	a bit odd, as one windowed instance is fine. (Incidently, I have
	no problems with multiple instances of the DOS4.01 shell). I am using
	the default pif, and have ver3.1f of the MKS toolkit.
2.  MKS shell gives me a "no pipes available" error message when ever I try
	to use a pipe (both within and outside windows).  This message isn't
	documented (I have tried changing the files statement in config.sys
	Also have looked at share and fastopen, but cannot get pipes.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
	Jamie.

andy@mks.com (Andy Toy) (01/18/91)

I tried to send e-mail, but it bounced.

In article <993@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz> jamie@macadam.tmc.edu (Jamie Purcal x8522 C5C-430 Accounting Jamie Finance) writes:
>Answer 13 in the FAQ suggests that the MKS alias for Windows should be:
>	alias -x win="C:\\usr\\windows\\win.com"
>This doesn't seem to work: it appears that the double \s are translated
>to single slashes in the stored alias, and then treated as escape chars
>on execution of the alias.  To fix this use

The FAQ has been updated.  The alias should have single quotes instead
of double quotes.

>I'm having a couple of other problems with the MKS shell:
>1.  I can't invoke multiple (windowed) versions of the MKS shell from
>	386 enhanced mode without causing severe misbehaviour:  this is
>	a bit odd, as one windowed instance is fine. (Incidently, I have
>	no problems with multiple instances of the DOS4.01 shell). I am using
>	the default pif, and have ver3.1f of the MKS toolkit.

There isn't enough information to diagnose the above problem.  What do
you mean by `misbehaviour'?  Be specific.  Please send e-mail to
support@mks.com regarding this problem.

>2.  MKS shell gives me a "no pipes available" error message when ever I try
>	to use a pipe (both within and outside windows).  This message isn't
>	documented (I have tried changing the files statement in config.sys
>	Also have looked at share and fastopen, but cannot get pipes.

This is usually caused by failure of a write operation to the pipe file
which is created in the temporary directory, usually /tmp or c:/tmp.
Make sure that TMPDIR is set to the proper directory and that files can
be created in this directory.
--
Andy Toy <andy@mks.com>                       UUCP: ...!uunet!watmath!mks!andy
Technical Support <support@mks.com>                     Phone: +1-519-884-2270