[comp.windows.ms.programmer] Problem with Excel on AT

mcorlett@ibmpcug.co.uk (M A Corlett) (01/16/91)

Re: Microsft Excel and Windows 3.0 on a '286 box

I've been having truble getting Excel running on my AT clone
(Phoenix BIOS, 1.5 Mb memory)

Symptoms are that I get an 'Unrecoverable Application Error' dialog
box. Sometimes the error is after Excel loads, trying to load a file;
other times it is during loading, so that the program manager dies
and dumps me back at the DOS prompt.

Running in real mode causes the machine to hang, so I suspect a
'286 protection fault.

Any suggestions?

Mike Corlett
mcorlett@ibmpcug.co.uk

--
Automatic Disclaimer:
The views expressed above are those of the author alone and may not

chin@fornax.UUCP (Hong Wai Chin) (01/18/91)

In article <1991Jan16.090525.9647@ibmpcug.co.uk>, mcorlett@ibmpcug.co.uk (M A Corlett) writes:
> Re: Microsft Excel and Windows 3.0 on a '286 box
>
> I've been having truble getting Excel running on my AT clone
> (Phoenix BIOS, 1.5 Mb memory)
>
> Symptoms are that I get an 'Unrecoverable Application Error' dialog
> box. Sometimes the error is after Excel loads, trying to load a file;
> other times it is during loading, so that the program manager dies
> and dumps me back at the DOS prompt.

I have the same problem to. The difference is that I have an IBM model 33sx
running with PCNFS and WINDOWS. My EXcel for Windows just wouldn't run
on network drive and have been giving me "Unrecoverable Appl.. Error".
I ended up putting EXCEL.EXE on the hard drive and it runs fine. WHY?????
My winword have no problem running from the network drive at all. Any
suggestion?

fred chin@fornax.UUCP
     chin@cs.sfu.ca