[comp.windows.ms.programmer] COM5: - COM8: Possible?

wayne@teemc.UUCP (Michael R. Wayne) (01/10/91)

	I'm trying to control 6 RS232 devices from a windows program (trouble
already, right?)  The touchscreen pretending it's a mouse is ONLY available
w/ serial interface so that eats COM1:.  The LaserDisk for Real-Time video
driver takes COM4:.  So, is there ANY way I can use 4 more serial ports?
I'm willing to buy what's required but I need it ASAP.  I've talked to
vendors of multiport boards and none of them work with Windows.  H/W is an
IBM PS/2 model 80 (ie microchannel).  e-mail and phone calls (even from
sales people :-) welcome.

/\/\ \/\/
(313) 731-6410
--
Michael R. Wayne      ---     TMC & Associates      --- wayne@teemc.tmc.mi.org
         Operator of the only 240 Horsepower UNIX machine in Michigan

i1neal@exnet.iastate.edu (Neal Rauhauser -- ELT Computer Applications Group) (01/11/91)

In article <201237@teemc.UUCP> wayne@teemc.UUCP (Michael R. Wayne) writes:

>	I'm trying to control 6 RS232 devices from a windows program (trouble
>already, right?)  The touchscreen pretending it's a mouse is ONLY available
>w/ serial interface so that eats COM1:.  The LaserDisk for Real-Time video
>driver takes COM4:.  So, is there ANY way I can use 4 more serial ports?
>I'm willing to buy what's required but I need it ASAP.  I've talked to
>vendors of multiport boards and none of them work with Windows.  H/W is an
>IBM PS/2 model 80 (ie microchannel).  e-mail and phone calls (even from
>sales people :-) welcome.

    Gotta have rs-232? I'm driving 24 devices with a parallel port board
and it was no effort at al, buts its _not_ rs-232, just a serial
communication.

   Neal i1neal@exnet.iastate.edu

wayne@teemc.UUCP (Michael R. Wayne) (01/18/91)

In article <201237@teemc.UUCP> wayne@teemc.UUCP (I) wrote:

>	I'm trying to control 6 RS232 devices from a windows program (trouble
>already, right?)  The touchscreen pretending it's a mouse is ONLY available
>w/ serial interface so that eats COM1:.  The LaserDisk for Real-Time video
>driver takes COM4:.  So, is there ANY way I can use 4 more serial ports?
>I'm willing to buy what's required but I need it ASAP.  I've talked to
>vendors of multiport boards and none of them work with Windows.  H/W is an
>IBM PS/2 model 80 (ie microchannel).  e-mail and phone calls (even from
>sales people :-) welcome.

	Is this really impossible?  MicroSoft has been "looking into this"
for over a week now, giving me "The person you need to talk to can not be
called directly" and "I'll try to have something for you tommorrow".
Digiboard (like every other multiport vendor I called) doesn't do Windows.
I can't believe that nobody has developed such a beast, there must be
somewhere we can go to buy h/w or s/w to deal with this?
	We thought of something late today, haven't tried it yet.  If we
stick serial<->parallel converters on parallel ports, can we use them
as bi-directional ports under Windows?
	Failing that, is there some known way to get info from DOS (ie
a COM driver) into Windows?

/\/\ \/\/