[comp.windows.ms.programmer] using socket library under Windows3

enno@technix.oz.au (Enno Davids) (01/22/91)

We're involved in porting an application to windows 3.0 that
requires a BSD sockets library.  We have all of the commercial
sockets libraries (ie. Wollongong, HP, Locus, PC/TCP..) and
none of them will link with our application to produce a
valid windows program  (because they are all DOS libraries, the
function preambles  are different, and they use interupts).

Does anybody know how to get over this limitation, or better
yet have or know of a sockets library for windows.  As this is
a commercial project for a large client, reasonable fees are
negotiable. ;-)

-------
Enno Davids	   	TechNIX Consulting Services P/L.
			37 Harold St.
enno@technix.oz.au   	East Hawthorn 3123
			Australia
			Phone: +61 3 670 7878	(NB. 15-18 hrs time difference!)
			Fax:   +61 3 670 3471

ice@wang.com (Fredrik Nyman) (01/24/91)

enno@technix.oz.au (Enno Davids) writes:

>We're involved in porting an application to windows 3.0 that
>requires a BSD sockets library.  We have all of the commercial
>sockets libraries (ie. Wollongong, HP, Locus, PC/TCP..) and
>none of them will link with our application to produce a
>valid windows program  (because they are all DOS libraries, the
>function preambles  are different, and they use interupts).

>Does anybody know how to get over this limitation, or better
>yet have or know of a sockets library for windows.  As this is
>a commercial project for a large client, reasonable fees are
>negotiable. ;-)

To my knowledge, the only vendor shipping a TCP/IP package for Windows
is NetManage, Inc. Their package is called NetManage NEWT, and it has
a fairly complete socket library.

I've been using NEWT since late November, and I've been happy both
with the functionality it offers and with Netmanages excellent support.

Contact them at 10020 North DeAnza Blvd., Suite 101
		Cupertino, CA 95014
		Phone (408) 257-6404
		FAX   (408) 257-6405

--
Disclaimer: Wang doesn't care about my opinions, so why should you?
Internet: <ice@jasmine.wang.COM> <ice@wang.COM>  <ice@emil.csd.uu.se>

dzoey@terminus.umd.edu (Joe Herman) (01/25/91)

In article <1991Jan22.060324.326@technix.oz.au> enno@technix.oz.au (Enno Davids) writes:
>We're involved in porting an application to windows 3.0 that
>requires a BSD sockets library We have all of the commercial
>sockets libraries (ie. Wollongong, HP, Locus, PC/TCP..) and
>none of them will link with our application to produce a
>valid windows program  (because they are all DOS libraries, the
>function preambles  are different, and they use interupts).

Right.  All the various socket libraries are meant for DOS.  I'm
sure that many of the commercial organizations are working on libraries
for win3 (Wollongong & FTP Inc. have stated this publicaly.
I think they're supposed to be out 1Q91.)  WINQVT/NET uses the NCSA
TCP as a base for their telnet.  This doesn't use a socket library though.
It's possible to talk to a packet driver from windows.  I suppose you
could do what WINQVT/NET did and port NCSA.

You could always see if one of the commercial companies is looking for
beta testers....

				Joe Herman
				U. of Maryland

dzoey@terminus.umd.edu
--
"Everything is wonderful until you know something about it."