[comp.windows.ms.programmer] Actor killed -! my windows...

pcb@basin03.cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) (01/22/91)

Actor is great.  I wish it compiled.  The OO design philosophies beat
C++ any day (my opinion, no flames please).

But, It just killed win3.  I was using object graphics in the work window.
I did not dissassociate the port (release hDC).  I closed the window that
had the open port.  KABOOOM.  Windows either froze or went back to c:\.
In any case, every time I restarted windows, it went back to c:\.

I found a cure (thought I would have to reinstall everything).  Apparently,
something was left in the fixed swapfile that made windows shut off.
I killed the swapfile with norton utilites and removed the .par file.
Phew!  Windows came back up ok, actor works fine now and I created a new
swapfile.

My suggestion to Whitewater (they used to monitor this group):  write a
compiler.  The power, flexibility, and simplicity of the Actor syntax
and environment is awesome.  However, the multithreaded envt. in windows
seems to be a pain to an interpretive environment.

/*----------- Thanks in advance... --------------------------------------+
| Peter C. Bahrs                                                         |
| The USL-NASA Project                                                   |
| Center For Advanced Computer Studies      INET: pcb@swamp.cacs.usl.edu |
| 2 Rex Street                                                           |
| University of Southwestern Louisiana      ...!uunet!dalsqnt!gator!pcb  |
| Lafayette, LA 70504                                                    |

al@well.sf.ca.us (Alfred Fontes) (01/26/91)

pcb@basin03.cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) writes:

>Actor is great.  I wish it compiled.
>I did not dissassociate the port (release hDC).  I closed the window that
>had the open port.  KABOOOM.  Windows either froze or went back to c:\.

Compile vs. interpret isn't the issue.  If you don't release the device context,
you can always look forward to that "KABOOM".