[comp.windows.ms.programmer] MSC 5.1 or 6.0

dm76+@andrew.cmu.edu (Daniel McKeel) (01/28/91)

Hello
    Is it really necessary to use Microsoft C v.6.0 or can v.5.1 be used
for Windows 3.0 programming with the SDK v.3.0 kit? I have seen references
to using 5.1,but am unsure this is so.
    Where is the FAQ Programmers listing as mentioned in the Frequently
Asked Questions posting on the Windows.Ms board?
Much Thanks.
Dan

srw@cci632.UUCP (Steve Windsor) (01/29/91)

In article <Abd1iFS00UhW40fJ4b@andrew.cmu.edu> dm76+@andrew.cmu.edu (Daniel McKeel) writes:
>Hello
>    Is it really necessary to use Microsoft C v.6.0 or can v.5.1 be used
>for Windows 3.0 programming with the SDK v.3.0 kit? I have seen references
>to using 5.1,but am unsure this is so.

In the SDK Tools Book, chapter 1, "Compiling Applications: The C Compiler",
page 1-1, Section 1.1, "Compiling C-Language Windows Applications", it
states:

  "Microsoft Windows requires version 5.1 or later of Microsoft C, or
   version 2.0 or later of Microsoft QuickC."

In reality you will be using most of the SDK include files and libraries
and will use the MSC libraries little; you are using the compiler and
the linker and other C utilities for the SDK.

Stephen Windsor  srw@op632@cci.com