[comp.windows.ms.programmer] Different C++ compilers for windows programming

MJLEPPER@MTUS5.BITNET (01/28/91)

  I'm interested in making my own Windows applications, and I would like some
suggestions about what compiler is best for the job.  I use Turbo Pascal 5.5
right now, and I would like to continue to use Borland products, but if some
other compiler is better suited to the needs, I would consider it.
  C++ seems to be the way to go, so what's the best: Borland, MicroSoft, or
Zortech.  Overall price is important here, so I don't want to have to spend
$300 on a compiler, then $200 for the SDK.  Please send me your opinions.

Matthew Lepper

mjlepper@balance.cs.mtu.edu

-- Life is too confusing to think about. --

johnm@spudge.UUCP (John Munsch) (01/31/91)

In article <91027.132743MJLEPPER@MTUS5.BITNET> MJLEPPER@MTUS5.BITNET writes:
>  C++ seems to be the way to go, so what's the best: Borland, MicroSoft, or
>Zortech.  Overall price is important here, so I don't want to have to spend
>$300 on a compiler, then $200 for the SDK.  Please send me your opinions.

I hate to burst your bubble but here's the way things are:
	Microsoft doesn't have a C++ compiler (they barely have a C compiler).
	Borland has a nice C++ but it doesn't (yet) do Windows.
	Zortech C++ does do Windows.

Zortech is fairly reasonably priced (certainly cheaper than MSC 6.0) but
not nearly as nice as the low prices I've seen for Borlands C++ 1.0 Pro.
As far as getting the SDK for $200, I don't think so.  Most places have it for
between $335 and $350.

John Munsch