[comp.windows.ms.programmer] how do I preserve windows layout 'til next time, other

joec@Morgan.COM (Joe Collins) (01/29/91)

I am a VERY new user of WINDOWS and have searched around for
this one. Hopefully, its not another case of RTFM.

I enter WINDOWS 3.0 and lay out my windows in tile fashion,
all icons neatly arranged. I exit windows and come back
later and my nice arrangement is neatly forgotten.

Can it be saved away somehow, someway?

-----
I have some nonwindow applications and they all have the same
ugly, grey, [DOS] icon when minimized. I wish to change these
to something more pleasant-looking.

I have searched for .ICO files et al and nothing seems to come
close. Where are they kept? Can I add to the library of icons?

-----

Many, many humble thanks and sorry if this has been beaten to
death 10 million times already.

joec@morgan.com

v119l94u@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Dennis G Crawford) (01/30/91)

In article <2618@s8.Morgan.COM>, joec@Morgan.COM (Joe Collins) writes...
>I am a VERY new user of WINDOWS and have searched around for
>this one. Hopefully, its not another case of RTFM.
>
>I enter WINDOWS 3.0 and lay out my windows in tile fashion,
>all icons neatly arranged. I exit windows and come back
>later and my nice arrangement is neatly forgotten.
>
>Can it be saved away somehow, someway?

	Well.. I've been using Windows for a while now, and have accumulated
many things for it.. but, that still urks me.. I arrange MY own folders in
order, then when I exit that window, it seems to have a mind of it's own.. I
don't know what to do about that....

>I have some nonwindow applications and they all have the same
>ugly, grey, [DOS] icon when minimized. I wish to change these
>to something more pleasant-looking.

	As for this, select file and then properties.  Go to change icon, and
then select a file.  ICONS are available, I believe, at cica.cica.indiana.edu.
They're a dime a dozen.  If you want, I can send you my icons uuencoded.
Also, there's a file called icondrw.zip that you can get, once unzipped, It
will allow you to draw your own icons.  Enjoy!

)_Dennis_(
----
... D-Man! -=- "What's a Solvay?" -=- Dennis G. Crawford -=- SUNY Buffalo  .
..  V119L94U@UBVMS.CC.BUFFALO.EDU -=- CRAWFORD@AUTARCH.ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU   ..
.   UUNET!UBVMSC.CC.BUFFALO.EDU!V119L94U@UUNET.UU.NET -=- DGCRAWF@UMASS  ...
    "How did we get here!?        Where are we going!?" -- J. Satriani  ....

gt3070b@prism.gatech.EDU (Jeff Watkins) (01/30/91)

Excuse me,

The next time you (plural) have a question, please ask yourself THIS question:

    IS THIS A WINDOWS PROGRAMMING QUESTION OR IS THIS A END USER QUESTION?

If the answer is "This is an end user question", then

                   DON'T POST TO COMP.WINDOWS.MS.PROGRAMMER!

If you read the charter (if one really exists) for comp.windows.ms.programmer
it was specifically designed as a forum for PROGRAMMERS to ask questions
concerning PROGRAMMING IN MICROSOFT WINDOWS.  If you are clever, you will
realize that following this will be in your best interests, because some of
the folks who read ...ms.programmer are the folks who bring you such products
as Lotus Ami, Aldus Pagemaker, Microsoft Windows, Ventura Publisher, and
more importantly (IMHO) the growing variety of shareware windows software.

It is impolite to waste their time.  If they are interested in helping, which a
great number of them are, they will read your post HERE on comp.windows.ms
where it belongs and reply to you HERE on comp.windows.ms.  If you waste their
time, you are only shooting yourself in the foot.

ciao,
jeff watkins
Lotus Development Word Processing Division(by day)
&
Convergent Media Systems (by night)
--
Jeff Watkins                       jwatkins@cadsun7.gatech.edu
Convergent Media Systems           (404) 315-0105 voice  (404) 315-0231 data

gt3070b@prism.gatech.EDU (Jeff Watkins) (01/30/91)

oh, I forgot,

download a file from cica.cica.indiana.edu.  It is entitled layout.zip.
it is in the ~/pub/pc/win3/util directory.  It does everything you want.

ciao
jeff

--

mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) (01/30/91)

In article <56733@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v119l94u@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Dennis G Crawford) writes:
>In article <2618@s8.Morgan.COM>, joec@Morgan.COM (Joe Collins) writes...
>>I am a VERY new user of WINDOWS and have searched around for
>>this one. Hopefully, its not another case of RTFM.

I am a very experienced user of Windows and have searched around for this one.
Hopefully, its not another case of RTFM.

:-( :-(

>>I have some nonwindow applications and they all have the same
>>ugly, grey, [DOS] icon when minimized. I wish to change these
>>to something more pleasant-looking.
>
>	As for this, select file and then properties.  Go to change icon, and
>then select a file.  ICONS are available, I believe, at cica.cica.indiana.edu.
>They're a dime a dozen.  If you want, I can send you my icons uuencoded.
>Also, there's a file called icondrw.zip that you can get, once unzipped, It
>will allow you to draw your own icons.  Enjoy!

I tried this and it didn't mention "files"  -- it just cycled through
a bunch of icons and didn't use any ones I had put in the Windows
directory after making them with Iconedit from the (2.1) SDK.

Any help?? Do I have to put the filenames in some ??.ini file???

Incidentally, netters out there, this post come to you DIRECTLY from
a PC running Windows right now! Yes, I have a News reader/poster
that runs inside a window. No more Telnetting to a feelthy Unix
system for the News!

It is still alpha test.

Doug McDonald

MSR113@psuvm.psu.edu (Matt Richmond) (01/31/91)

In article <1991Jan30.155426.4367@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu
(Doug McDonald) says:

>>then select a file.  ICONS are available, I believe, at
>cica.cica.indiana.edu.
>
>I tried this and it didn't mention "files"  -- it just cycled through
>a bunch of icons and didn't use any ones I had put in the Windows
>directory after making them with Iconedit from the (2.1) SDK.

What you have to do is specify the filename that contains the icon
you want..  like 123.ICO or the like...  Then the icon(s) contained
in that file will be used instead of the Windows default file..
There was a file available on cica which contained 100s of icons
and all you had to do was choose this file and search through it
for the icon you wanted..  I forget it's name though..  anyone?

>Any help?? Do I have to put the filenames in some ??.ini file???

No..  just specify the filename in the space provided...
Hope this helps....

--Matt