[comp.windows.ms.programmer] Windows RS 232 and 16550

ingea@IFI.UIO.NO (Inge Arnesen) (01/09/91)

As have been pointed out by many, the COMMs handling in Windows 3 in 386
Enhanced mode is simply awful! Character loss will occur at high speeds on
both high speed DX's and 16MHz SX's.

The 8250/16440 compatible chip NS 16550, mainly a chip suited for UNIX, XENIX
or other non-realtime OS's, saves the day for Windows 3 users. I've had the
chips around for a while, but only last week did I fetch the soldering iron
and did some surgery to an old RS card.

Installing a serial driver in CONFIG.SYS patched up for the 550 FIFO support,
and.... whiz bang! 38400 baud without problems on a 20MHz SX.

If only the terminal emulators could speed up a bit.... DynaComm barely keeps
up with 4800 baud...... Anybody seen a fast Windows terminal emulator ????

Inge (BoB)  { ingea@ifi.uio.no }
==   Inge Arnesen, University of Oslo, Norway.                         ==
==                                                                     ==

lemon@qut.edu.au (02/06/91)

In article <CMM.0.88.663412729.ingea@svarte.ifi.uio.no>, ingea@IFI.UIO.NO (Inge Arnesen) writes:

> As have been pointed out by many, the COMMs handling in Windows 3 in 386
> Enhanced mode is simply awful! Character loss will occur at high speeds on
> both high speed DX's and 16MHz SX's.
>
> The 8250/16440 compatible chip NS 16550, mainly a chip suited for UNIX, XENIX
> or other non-realtime OS's, saves the day for Windows 3 users. I've had the
> chips around for a while, but only last week did I fetch the soldering iron
> and did some surgery to an old RS card.
>
> Installing a serial driver in CONFIG.SYS patched up for the 550 FIFO support,
> and.... whiz bang! 38400 baud without problems on a 20MHz SX.

 Can you tell me what driver you used, and how you setup the system.ini
 and win.ini files, as i have tried a number of times and windows in enh
 mode only every see's a 16450 with no fifo's.

John Lemon                           _--_|\  INTERNET:
Faculty of Information Technology   /      \ lemon@qut.edu.au
Queensland University of Technology \_.--._/ lemon@snow.fit.qut.edu.au
Queensland, Australia                     v
                                             BBS:
                                             Ph +61-7-3721268