[comp.windows.ms.programmer] TCP/IP based Communication b/w Windows applications and UNI

rpA-Inc@cup.portal.com (RP and Ainc) (02/07/91)

My company is looking for a product that will allow us to communicate
via sockets between a Windows application and a UNIX application!
We are hoping that this communication will be **TCP/IP** based since we
may also need to communicate with Tandem computers running TCP/IP.
Any ideas?
Commercial products will be most welcome!

E-mail will be appreciated!
ThanX

--Emuleomo O.O. (emuleomo@yes.rutgers.edu)
--
Remember! It doesn't matter if you win or lose, as long as you win!

rpA-Inc@cup.portal.com (RP and Ainc) (02/07/91)

[ Sorry about the other posting. It went off before I could add anything
  to it. RF]

There are 3 developement environments I know of for TCP/IP on DOS.

FTP Software's PC/TCP Development kit. (Woburn, MA)
Wollongong's IPTCP Developer's kit. (Mountain View, CA)
Distinct's TCP/IP for Windows. (San Jose, CA)

Only Distinct advertises actively as a Win3 product. I have used
the two others and neither are Win3 specific. FTP's will allow you to
create one session at a time (the driver does not maintain state
under windows). They say they are working on a DLL.

Wollongong's development is currently in Beta but they say full Win3
support is another release away.

Cheers,

Ramin Firoozye'
rp&A Inc.
San Francisco, CA.

ice@wang.com (Fredrik Nyman) (02/08/91)

rpA-Inc@cup.portal.com (RP and Ainc) writes:

>My company is looking for a product that will allow us to communicate
>via sockets between a Windows application and a UNIX application!
>We are hoping that this communication will be **TCP/IP** based since we
>may also need to communicate with Tandem computers running TCP/IP.
>Any ideas?
>Commercial products will be most welcome!
I though this might be of general interest...

NetManage, Inc. has a TCP/IP protocol stack for Windows 3.0 called NEWT.
Their lib gives you functions like bind(), gethostbyname(), htonl(),
htons(), recv(), recvfrom(), send(), sendto() and socket()

I bought NEWT last year, and am very pleased with both the product and
with Netmanage's support of it.

For details, phone NetManage. (408) 741-1073
--
Disclaimer: Wang doesn't care about my opinions, so why should you?
Internet: <ice@jasmine.wang.COM> <ice@wang.COM>  <ice@emil.csd.uu.se>