[comp.windows.ms.programmer] Opinions about using Zortech C++ for MS Windows

ges@stiatl.salestech.com (Gerald Sullivan) (02/07/91)

I am looking for opinions regarding the use of Zortech C++
for Microsoft Windows development. We will be using the
Glockenspiel Commonvu 2 class library. This limits our
choice of compilers to Glockenspiel (a cfront compiler)
and Zortech. We are leaning toward Zortech because it is
not a preprocessor. If anyone is using Zortech for comercial
development I would greatly appreciate your opinion.

Some particular concerns we have:
1. Robustness of compiler
2. Ease of linking with Microsoft C produced object files
3. Quality of the debugger
4. Compatibility with CodeView
5. Technical support

Any other opinions or comments are welcome.

Thanks,
Jerry Sullivan

jim@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Jim Ruehlin, CFC User) (02/09/91)

In <1991Feb07.142714.22163@stiatl.salestech.com> ges@stiatl.salestech.com (Gerald Sullivan) writes:

>I am looking for opinions regarding the use of Zortech C++
>for Microsoft Windows development. We will be using the
>Glockenspiel Commonvu 2 class library. This limits our
>choice of compilers to Glockenspiel (a cfront compiler)
>and Zortech.

I don't know about Zortech, but I do know about Glockenspiel (I currently
use it and curse it).  I also use Commonvu and I have no complaints about
that.  I know you didn't ask about Glock, but I feel so strongly about it
that I wanted to warn off anyone looking to it.  It's big, it's a hog,
it's slow, and you can't use it in PWB when running in windows.  I can't
even have my network installed while I'm doing development with it (I have
4 MB of memory and 2 autoexec.bat and config.sys files).

>Some particular concerns we have:
>1. Robustness of compiler
Glock has some very nasty bugs like not being able to create a standard
text window without bombing.
>2. Ease of linking with Microsoft C produced object files
It does do this OK
>3. Quality of the debugger
>4. Compatibility with CodeView
>5. Technical support
TS for CV I've found to be pretty good.  Glock is made by a different
company.

>Any other opinions or comments are welcome.
DON'T USE GLOCKENSPIEL!!  I'VE USED IT FOR 6 MONTHS WITH COMMONVU AND IT SUCKS!

We've already ordered the new Turbo environment for Windows.  I make the
effort to do the conversion because I can no longer waste time trying to
make my product in Glock.

- Jim Ruehlin