[comp.windows.ms.programmer] Win3 vs, Win 2.11

jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) (02/10/91)

Howdy all.  I have been messing around with the Windows SDK and C 6.00 and
have encountered a "This Application is for a previous version of Windows!"
message everytime I run a certain program.

The program in question is SWP.C in "Windows PRogamming: An Introduction"
by Murray and Pappas".  The book, in general, sucks pretty badly, since
it claims that it supports Windows 3.0 (which it does in a roundabout
way) but most of the stuff for Windows 3.0 is blatant addenda.  Anyway,
after typing all the code for SWP.C in, I now get that message.  What
do old Windows programs do that new Windows programs don't so that
Windows 3.0 knows what is going on?  This is annoying, to say the very
least.

On two other notes, I thought that you would like to know that most of the
pictures in that book are of the MS-DOS executive and old Windows 2.1x
throwbacks like it.

Also, is anyone going to the big Windows 3.0 C++ by Borland roll out?  IF
so, could you please e-mail me your thoughts.  OR post them, possibly.

Brian

bcw@rti.rti.org (Bruce Wright) (02/10/91)

In article <26814@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes:

> Howdy all.  I have been messing around with the Windows SDK and C 6.00 and
> have encountered a "This Application is for a previous version of Windows!"
> message everytime I run a certain program.

I suspect that you are probably using the 2.11 SDK and have not
marked the program as a Windows 3.0 app with the MARK utility.

Try running the app under Real mode (win /r) and if the message
goes away then that's almost certainly the problem.

						Bruce C. Wright

gjh@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Gary Hill) (02/11/91)

In <26814@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes:

>Howdy all.  I have been messing around with the Windows SDK and C 6.00 and
>have encountered a "This Application is for a previous version of Windows!"
>message everytime I run a certain program.

>after typing all the code for SWP.C in, I now get that message.  What
>do old Windows programs do that new Windows programs don't so that
>Windows 3.0 knows what is going on?  This is annoying, to say the very
>least.

With Windows 3.0 you must run the resource compiler rc.exe on the
executable even if you= don't have any resources as this marks it as
a win 3.0 program if you don't you get the message you have described.

Just add 'rc swp.exe' after your link line.

Hope this helps.

Gary Hill, gjh@uk.ac.soton.ecs

jls@hsv3.UUCP (James Seidman) (02/12/91)

In article <26814@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes:
>Howdy all.  I have been messing around with the Windows SDK and C 6.00 and
>have encountered a "This Application is for a previous version of Windows!"
>message everytime I run a certain program.

Your program is marked as being for version 3.0 when you run RC on it.
Now, many sample programs designed for previous versions of Windows
have no resources, so they don't run RC at all.  You can solve your
problem just by making an empty resource file (SWP.RC or whatever)
and using RC to compile it and add it to your program.

--
Jim Seidman (Drax), the accidental engineer.
"There's a certain freedom to being completely screwed." - The Freshman