[comp.windows.ms.programmer] SYSTEM.INI

tporczyk@na.excelan.com (Tony Porczyk) (02/12/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 1991 03:40:28 GMT

In article <26709@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes:
>Assuming a 386 w/VGA and 8MB of RAM total, and alloting 3MB to play with....
>Which is best (i.e. faster and/or more efficeint)
>Using a 3MB disk cache in EXT mem
>Setting aside a RAM drive for the Swapfile

You can't set up a permanent swapfile on a RAMDRIVE, so that idea is dead
before you try it. You can, however, set up temp directory there.
I don't know if 3Mb disk cache is going to make a lot of difference as
compared to 2Mb, but I use 3Mb anyway (similar configuration to yours).
Then again, I don't use too many apps in Windows, so it doesn't bother me
that 3Mb is gone. Definitely set up a permanent swapfile on your hard drive.
6-7Mb is usually about enough.
Having said it all, it will still be slow. It's Windows.

Tony