[comp.windows.ms.programmer] Recommendations sought for programming in Windows 3 books

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (02/01/91)

I'd like to hear opinions about the various books dealing with programming
in Windows 3, good or bad.  I'm in the market for one; I'm a
semi-DOS-literate programmer with some Mac experience (mea culpa :-) )
programming in C, and will probably be using the MSC compiler with the
Windows SDK, or (when it comes out) the Borland Windows C++ package.

I imagine this question gets asked every 3 months or so (I'm new to the
group), so please e-mail me your comments, and I will summarize them in a
couple of weeks.

Thank you in advance...

                           "Grub first, then ethics."
                                           -- Bertolt Brecht

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, microsoft, hplsla, uiucuxc}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

awd@dbase.A-T.COM (Alastair Dallas) (02/03/91)

Sorry, my email doesn't work right now--sysop problem.

In article <1991Jan31.183749.811@tc.fluke.COM>, moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:
> I'd like to hear opinions about the various books dealing with programming
> in Windows 3, good or bad.

Petzold, of course.  I also enjoy the Sybex book by Paul Yao, David Durant and
someone else.  Yao is a frequent contributor to Microsoft Systems Journal
(q.v.) and Durant taught the Microsoft University Windows course I attended.
The update of their book to Win3 doesn't seem to be out yet, but the older
version is still quite helpful.  There sure seems to be a lot of junk out
there about Windows programming, though, doesn't there?  There's a glut of
dBASE books, too, but at least most of them are decent.

Be sure you get the latest Petzold, updated for Win3--it's hard to find
right now.

/alastair/

bruceki@microsoft.UUCP (Bruce KING) (02/12/91)

  Power Windows Programming Techniques by Paul Yao & Peter Norton is
out right now.  I like it.  It's published by the Peter Norton folks,
and so has Peter AND Paul's face on the cover.

  ...but then again I'm one of the names on the inside cover, so
I may be a little biased.

  bruceki@polari (home) / bruceki@microsoft (work) / (206) 882-8080 (work)

akm@cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) (02/13/91)

In article <70616@microsoft.UUCP> bruceki@microsoft.UUCP (Bruce KING) writes:
>  Power Windows Programming Techniques by Paul Yao & Peter Norton is
>out right now.  I like it.  It's published by the Peter Norton folks,
>and so has Peter AND Paul's face on the cover.

The grant I'm working on paid for both Petzold's book as well as the
Norton/Yao book. I prefer the Petzold style of writing. There are a
lot of similarities between the books, e.g. the way they lay out their
code (as opposed to the way that the Programmer's Guide in the SDK
lays out its stuff).

If your budget is one book, go for the Petzold book. If it can stretch
to two, buy both... There are things that each book talks about that
the other doesn't. For example, I prefer the child window discussion
in Norton/Yao, but Petzold does a much better job of file/I-O.

Please also remember that preferences for books is something that is
extremely subjective.

kartik

--
Anant Kartik Mithal                                     akm@cs.uoregon.edu
Research Assistant, 					(503)346-4408 (msgs)