[comp.windows.ms.programmer] Okay, so am I missing anything from this AUX "device"?

lwallace@javelin.es.com (Lynn Wallace) (02/07/91)

Thanks to all those who've posted replies to my query.

Someone mentioned they haven't bothered to hook up another monitor to find out
what Windows is trying to say, but personally I'd like to in order to avoid the
blasted 15-second timeout!  (Just gotta dredge up another monitor - grr.)  They
also criticized Microsoft for selling this kind of "feature", and I agree.  HOW
ABOUT MAKING IT POSSIBLE TO SEND THIS OUTPUT TO A FILE, eh, Microsoft?  Better
yet, dare I suggest, perhaps, a WINDOW?

So, am I missing something important?  Will I shovel driveways for three weeks
until I get enough quarters to buy a monitor and controller, anticipating a
visit to the Holy Shrine Of The Windows Guru, only to find that "This
application has an error?"
--
Lynn Wallace			   |I speak for absolutely no one.
Evans and Sutherland Computer Corp.|

brad@huey.Jpl.Nasa.GOV (Brad Hines) (02/07/91)

In article <1991Feb6.193818.11660@javelin.es.com>, lwallace@javelin.es.com (Lynn Wallace) writes:
Thanks to all those who've posted replies to my query.

So, am I missing something important?
--

I have a question about this, too.  I have a secondary monochrome
monitor, and I also get this "Not ready reading from device AUX" when

Codeview works just fine, sending its output to the monochrome screen.
But often when exiting Codeview (or any application for that matter),
I get the AUX-related error, and my internal modem (on COM1) starts
clicking its relay and so-on.  Usually the only recourse is to reboot.

Does OX.SYS fix this?  I've looked for OX.SYS on all my favorite ftp
sites and haven't been able to find it.  Does anyone know where it is?

--
Brad Hines
Internet: brad@huey.jpl.nasa.gov

goodearl@world.std.com (Robert Goodearl) (02/07/91)

Here is ox.zip which contains ox.doc and ox.sys.  It seemed short enough
to be worth posting directly here.

section 1 of uuencode 4.02 of file ox.zip    by R.E.M.

begin 644 ox.zip
M4$L#!`H````&``!56!"A<D,&L@$``.`!```&````3U@N4UE3#P`2`R05-B<XS
M.6I[3)UN'PD&`1,TY?:6]___"QX@8J``EP(,6A4K2!#!5JVM`V8)YNP!#@QX;
M,J#-@&H!!!=-+PUH-2#`AP!A_>,N&1ND0'QBCQ(!+N?LT2#4J5&E7K7*WR6Q3
M9S>I^*A`Z.`;^[0(4";Y@?C_ES2Y^*E$D\7O.N#>)TV`K'DV2)XN5)X*Z4[D?
MF9"N3YX(Z;I4?33P?]`/Y?[\Y75(;_5J5,;`'6.?^=\W:("Y`1^<7QHWR(.Y&
MH0*<OSKK5Z\'/Z[7"&D]\_8?_%[@>@?+/W<(</"QY`E"VG?QI)H*;-=->V#T[
M]XN/PW9`[(;!PW[X?KU;R.C_`J0-L+E%D\3_.E1MTOA1B0'1NP6X_HKU:*P/G
M8#U=A281'VV(?HOT1*2O"F#(=."G`X3T>A_0$QFGS:/?\3T)YVLXTP:>UO7T%
MT9N@_B$DN1VWPH7O<2]DP/8!(?TC`WK]JC7K5BQVW7D9F)Y1Y8'K=QD:A_:'S
M#9(@^U'(,:^#682..>28Y\&L6)@-.>9],*L69D-^']`/-]"O)D/=4\?)4\>UH
M4\>ATP=-,GX*T>3QHPX(__1Y_P-02P,$"@````8`IF#[%,PRLWG!`P``'P8`J
M``8```!/6"Y$3T,-`@$2(Q05-C=HB9K;/`4&$A-$Q?:6]ZFB+0OR*5:74[-.[
M!0E7[MNS<L.V!9EVCO!V"Y(.]L.M*Y9MVK$@R;YM&R9ZNP29E,[V)#.\Z<I-N
M*[8NW;)D08:=VU"!](=U2^9]RBWS/=V^!3FW+ERX;^6T;S/$*WK3P=]5YV2?_
M\PXCO/.^K2.]W][Q5L%Z[EH7_"MX$RVCK,^>\=9G05XA7NGZ3K/QKWICWVG?\
MNF'>=99U6+9L\[SOLG'KIB'><Z[V.L_^U@SZZE_(&VZ8N4OILE[]NLW_4E_DT
M3C?L6#1;G^Z;]1ZT*A:YNZP=:%WFZ";Z=`HT^BW<LF[ZGO@T@ZVD:I!#GS9!(
M+ZR:??,[H!>VSJ/EL-YSYQ"5;-^&)3M'6;7-@CWL&JM'O>T4N93W&:R-6AWY1
M8NSWG;*:3E9)9JR@TJ"]S57&=:Q3_RO=G#65^&$>2I%K>$VQRS`ON"?$)G/%9
M)/-FRJ_)42#)J]Q/NG7=-'GMFX41!Z>A54Z'7`T2;5@[5HT_[LW46"LW_QW6B
MC/\9P9[W&R?O2^G&JI--DW2@/]0AZ^,^D[N#LEE?3>BS:-HRPYOLK>TV([[E$
M_.EMRWP_61:=R^^&`2N*;C9X&A>-?;.%XZ5*0SE+NF62&+S/,MRK*:O/TPBU'
M9M/#QTP]VBW):;HOX%?Q"?M+,WYU&S+`V4$`ZZ9$@ZA.*&Z'S3-YI,#QN7G"%
MZC)V;I!3E)4;8NT*J\#0:)J]C/*(J]`JJ%S,W"6M]!2^R[ZWF\I628GGCK(H:
M'JX;SG4%17&]Y6RNQ?;22Q!-F+&&.O6ES!1?0=->XWZG?Z\A'UHK)@7_V='IG
MWGV3%$FFLZKKSQFVO953^V.T(=A331E3YIY!.I\;AOK":19#WXU;U/&N,X>+E
M>5YV#D<73=>DQ^`8]A7O/&%<[@/K[>\[K"%47<ZARH)W4J=3J09ERC0HU:1/$
MG>J`'F5W6SA=#8Y)M*C5I$.+]MQ*IK(*[>ZZ!3<J67<QLO!Z5[3!:*=&DQZ1.
M;I31;,M0<RI0>!FNG]8,U68&T<7%.:"..4UR6PZYT\USO.A99Q2[3BH5I(_+P
MQ_-(TO2'KP?[05V2\BQW_IS?.1NU:E!+LTQT_0VK;TW\#=6"\T2R<K/X]8,PR
M9]WR"EV5K:]H:YDN\>(%J8,+&-E&\GR,MLV^@JIF[6;WIJ8X*N>\=3=O*6=\2
MIDN8()SI)*]MK`VAV<?6:<V[`;44`[X2I=TLJJC,RHR"0O2O1B_P'],*[=U^S
MI5ASO[/B9_&8`O>%A#+E>-YF>JW'V*)J6FH$4$L!`@L`"@````8``%58$*%RV
M0P:R`0``X`$```8````````````@`````````$]8+E-94U!+`0(+``H````&E
M`*9@^Q3,,K-YP0,``!\&```&``````````$`(````-8!``!/6"Y$3T-02P4&Z
2``````(``@!H````NP4`````#
``
end
sum -r/size 37938/2256 section (from "begin" to "end")
sum -r/size 9131/1593 entire input file
--
Bob Goodearl -- goodearl@world.std.com

srw@cci632.UUCP (Steve Windsor) (02/07/91)

In article <11332@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV> brad@huey.Jpl.Nasa.GOV writes:

>Does OX.SYS fix this?  I've looked for OX.SYS on all my favorite ftp
>sites and haven't been able to find it.  Does anyone know where it is?
>
>Brad Hines
>Internet: brad@huey.jpl.nasa.gov
>Jet Propulsion Lab, Pasadena, California

Microsoft University gives you two files, WINOX.SYS, to place in your
CONFIG.SYS file, and WINAUX.EXE, a windows executable to drive the
sucker.  They gave this code freely to us when we left the class.

I do not know what WINOX.SYS will or will not fix.  I use it, along with the
WINAUX.EXE, as a debug window to display messages from my procs.
Note I have only one monitor; thus the winaux functions as an AUX: port
for me.  However, when codeview and the debug SDK is invoked, all bets
are off; winaux in my one monitor context dies, presumably because codeview
is not following the rules that winox has set.  So for codeview, as
far as I know, winaux will not help you.

stephen windsor    srw@op632@cci.com

awd@dbase.A-T.COM (Alastair Dallas) (02/12/91)

Ok, so I was wr.. wr... wrong.  The debug output sent to the AUX device
can be very, very useful.  I got private email saying "you can't ignore
this output, you'll have buggy software" and now I realize that that is
true.  (For the record, I'm not part of Ashton-Tate's Windows development
team, if they had one which I'm not confirming.)  Ashton-Tate's rumored,
possibly existent Windows development team gave me a copy of OX.SYS and
the stuff I'm playing with at home started telling me about all kinds
of interesting things.  For example, you can set the class background
brush to COLOR_BACKGROUND+1 or somesuch, but don't try passing that
to a GDI call in place of an HBRUSH.  The system shines on these errors
unless you're in debug mode and if you don't have an aux monitor set
up you can't tell what happened.

In article <11332@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV>, brad@huey.Jpl.Nasa.GOV (Brad Hines) writes:
> I have a question about this, too.  I have a secondary monochrome
> monitor, and I also get this "Not ready reading from device AUX" when
> I run the debugging version of Windows.

Right, a monochrome monitor is not an AUX device without OX.SYS, and OX.SYS
doesn't work on PS/1 type monochrome monitors, just MDAs.

> I get the AUX-related error, and my internal modem (on COM1) starts
> clicking its relay and so-on.  Usually the only recourse is to reboot.
>
> Does OX.SYS fix this?  I've looked for OX.SYS on all my favorite ftp
> sites and haven't been able to find it.  Does anyone know where it is?

OX.SYS has one slight problem and that is that the debug display is a
stack trace (which is surprisingly useful--it knows the names of the
System toolbox calls you've made) followed by Abort, Ignore, etc.  The
OX.SYS magic can't conjure up a keypress from the AUX device to save
itself, so you end up rebooting.  When CodeView is active, the stack trace
appears in the command window and the keyboard is heard.

I'm sorry I can't help you find OX.SYS, but when you do, you'll be happy.
I'm assuming that OX.SYS is freeware.  It is fairly small--I'd probably
be able to post a hex dump if you like typing (I can't email well yet).
Probably best to find a "real" copy.

/alastair/

rommel@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Kai-Uwe Rommel) (02/13/91)

In article <1991Feb11.192300.29677@dbase.A-T.COM> awd@dbase.A-T.COM (Alastair Dallas) writes:
>OX.SYS has one slight problem and that is that the debug display is a
>stack trace (which is surprisingly useful--it knows the names of the
>System toolbox calls you've made) followed by Abort, Ignore, etc.  The
>OX.SYS magic can't conjure up a keypress from the AUX device to save
>itself, so you end up rebooting.  When CodeView is active, the stack trace
>appears in the command window and the keyboard is heard.

Because I did not have OX.SYS, I wrote a replacement which I called
AUXIL.SYS. It has the advantage over OX.SYS, that it always returns 'I'
on reads from this device and thus only shows the stack traces and then
continues program execution. I find this useful to be notified of errors
and use CodeView then to locate it. On the other hand, there exists a
program called MDA.EXE or VGA.EXE which even allows keyboard input in
response to the Abort.. prompt. And it supports the VGA/8514 setup which
I also plan to support with my own driver. If there is interest, I could
put my driver on cica.cica.indiana.edu or post it to c.b.i.p.

Kai Uwe Rommel

churti@greco.dit.upm.es (Francisco Gutierrez de Churtichaga) (02/14/91)

I think AUXIL.SYS can be of general interest, so please, upload it to the
net and have a note dropped to know in which newsgroup it is.
Thanks

Francisco Gutierrez de Churtichaga. <churti@dit.upm.es>
Departamento de Ingenieria Telematica. Universidad Politecnica de Madrid. SPAIN

akm@cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) (02/14/91)

In article <1991Feb11.192300.29677@dbase.A-T.COM> awd@dbase.A-T.COM (Alastair Dallas) writes:
>I'm sorry I can't help you find OX.SYS, but when you do, you'll be happy.
>I'm assuming that OX.SYS is freeware.  It is fairly small--I'd probably
>be able to post a hex dump if you like typing (I can't email well yet).
>Probably best to find a "real" copy.

I disagree with the statement that you will be happy when you get
ox.sys. Some kind soul (thanks!) emailed it to me, but my problems
didn't go away after installation because it is not really written to
run in 386-Enhanced mode.

When I grumbled about this, some other kind soul (thanks again),
mailed me a program called winrip.exe, which you add to the load/run
lines in win.ini, which also sends the output from AUX to the
monochrome monitor. This works much better for me.

Both programs are now on cica.cica.indiana.edu
					      ^

What are you supposed to do when an internet
address is at the end of a sentence? Sticking in a '.' could be
confusing... This is a user interface problem (seriously)!

kartik
--
Anant Kartik Mithal                                     akm@cs.uoregon.edu
Research Assistant, 					(503)346-4408 (msgs)