[comp.windows.ms.programmer] Second monitor question

schanin@oracle.com (Steve Chanin) (02/15/91)

I just ordered a second monitor (monocrome with Herc compatible card)
for use with Code View.  I was wondering if there was any way to use
it as part of an expanded windows desktop when code view wasn't
running.  In case this description isn't clear, what I'd like to do is
have my compac run like a multi-monitor Mac.  If this isn't possible,
could I use 2nd monitor as a full-screen text display (i.e. run
command.com using the whole 2nd monitor screen and save the display
area on my vga monitor for more grphical stuff)?

Thanks for any help,
Steve
DOMAIN: sbchanin@ai.mit.edu                     MIT Artificial Intelligence Lab
USMAIL: Steven Chanin, 545 Technology Square Rm. 827, Cambridge Ma 02139
PHONE : (617) 253-8963

twb@cbnewsh.att.com (thomas.w.beattie) (02/16/91)

In article <SCHANIN.91Feb14141450@mailseq.oracle.com> schanin@oracle.com writes:
>I just ordered a second monitor (monocrome with Herc compatible card)
>for use with Code View.  I was wondering if there was any way to use
>it as part of an expanded windows desktop when code view wasn't
>running.  In case this description isn't clear, what I'd like to do is

I think the comp.windows.ms FAQ includes some info on using MODE to switch DOS
between VGA and MDA. Works fine for straight DOS, in a DOS window you
will lose the cursor :-)

There should be a package on Simtel and in c.b.i.p archives named
vga_herc.zip (or some approximation of that :-)

The VGA_HERC utilities are intended for those who have installed both
a primary VGA monitor and a secondary herc. mono monitor.  This is the
configuration used by MS Codeview for Windows 3.0.

This package contains three utilities:
     COLR-DRV.SYS, MONO-DRV.SYS and TOD.COM

The two drivers (.SYS files) allow output redirection to the "other" monitor.
Example:
    If the VGA is the "current" monitor, you can display the output of DIR
    on the mono. monitor as follows:
        DIR>MONO

    Similarly if the mono. monitor is "current"
        DIR>COLOR
    will redirect output of DIR to the VGA.

TOD is a TSR that displays the time of day in the upper left corner of
whichever monitor it is started from.
The .SCR files are DEBUG scripts that will create the above utilities.

Enjoy!
Tombo.

---
Tom Beattie
att!hoqaa!twb
t.w.beattie@att.com

epperson@adobe.COM (Mark Epperson) (02/16/91)

By the way... there is a great new program called CV/1 from nu-mega
that removes the need for a second monitor, it puts the CodeView
display on your primary screen. There are two things worth mentioning:

 1) It does NOT invalidate any part of the desktop when it takes over
    the screen NOR generate mouse or keyboard events (unlike Think C
    on the Mac).

 2) You can change uour font to get 50 lines for the CodeView window