---------------------

From: millerj@belize.crd.ge.com (Julia K. Miller)

	I have two books that I found useful; Programing Windows by
Charles Petzold published by Microsoft Press and Peter Norton's Windows
3.0 Power Programming Techniques by Peter Norton and Paul Yao published
by Bantam.  They ran about $25-$30 a piece.  Both had good examples,
much better than the SDK manuals.  You could type in their examples word
for word (they included all the necessary files) and they worked with no
alternations.  I liked some of the examples in the Norton book better
but they covered similar topics.  They usually did the examples in a
different way so it was useful to study the two.  I'd recommend both or
either.

	Julia Miller

----

From: lpw%lance.esd.sgi.com@SGI.COM (Lance Welsh)

[...]

Petzold's book is the best (at least it was for the previous
Windows version - and I believe the new one is out as well.

I'll be interested in seeing the responses.

-=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=-
Lance P. Welsh		Silicon Graphics, Inc.
lpw@sgi.com		PO Box 7311
wk: (415) 335-1860	2011 North Shoreline Blvd.
hm: (415) 326-3870	Mountain View, CA  94039-7311
-=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=-

-----
From: ice@wang.com (Fredrik Nyman)

Get Charles Petzold's "Programming Windows", 2nd ed.
Microsoft Press, $29.95, ISBN 1-55615-264-7
---
Disclaimer: Wang doesn't care about my opinions, so why should you?
Internet: <ice@jasmine.wang.COM> <ice@wang.COM>  <ice@emil.csd.uu.se>
BITNET:	  <ice@DRYCAS>  <ice@SEARN>  <ice@SEQZ51> (in order of preference)
USnail: Wang Labs, Inc., M/S 019-490, One Industrial Ave., Lowell, MA 01851

----

From: wayne@teemc.TMC.MI.ORG (Michael R. Wayne)

In article <1991Jan31.183749.811@tc.fluke.COM> you write:
>I'd like to hear opinions about the various books dealing with programming
>in Windows 3, good or bad.  I'm in the market for one; I'm a
>semi-DOS-literate programmer with some Mac experience (mea culpa :-) )
>programming in C, and will probably be using the MSC compiler with the
>Windows SDK, or (when it comes out) the Borland Windows C++ package.
>
>I imagine this question gets asked every 3 months or so (I'm new to the
>group), so please e-mail me your comments, and I will summarize them in a
>couple of weeks.

	Assuming you purchase the SDK (you won't get too far w/o it), the
ONLY book worth buying is "Programming Windows" 2nd edition by Charles
Petzold, ISBN 1-55615-264-7, Microsoft Press, $29.95 (US).  All the other
books appear to be re-hacks of the SDK docs with a few tidbits of
new example code thrown in.  If you, er, "acquire" the SDK, you can purchase
reprints of the books that accompany the SDK at the bookstore.  You can
write me mail if this is what you want, I don't have the info here.
The Petzold book you want has a big 3 on the cover (I don't know what the
first edition looks like but it wasn't for Windows 3.0).

/\/\ \/\/
--
Michael R. Wayne      ---     TMC & Associates      --- wayne@teemc.tmc.mi.org
         Operator of the only 240 Horsepower UNIX machine in Michigan