[comp.windows.ms.programmer] C++ users: what are you doing about memory?

al@well.sf.ca.us (Alfred Fontes) (02/21/91)

I was wondering how people out there are handling the memory situation.  My
own method is to overload ::operator new() and lock the segment
for as long as I'm using it.  I have the luxury of not worrying about
real mode.

I would like to know if other people are doing the same thing.  If so, how
are you implementing new()?

mwizard@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Craig Nelson) (02/22/91)

al@well.sf.ca.us (Alfred Fontes) writes:

>I was wondering how people out there are handling the memory situation.  My
>own method is to overload ::operator new() and lock the segment
>for as long as I'm using it.  I have the luxury of not worrying about
>real mode.

>I would like to know if other people are doing the same thing.  If so, how
>are you implementing new()?

	Well, I don't know about the rest of the world, but I prefer working
on 386 programs where extended memory is taken advantage of.  The library
routines I use come directly from MicroSoft, called XMM.LIB, and every time
I need a chunk of memory and don't want to drop the heap I just call for
more.  Of course I check for availability, but thats beside the point.
	By the way,  all this is done in the new() operator overload.  I am
working on the extra library routines to make it a permanent portion of the
C++ library through inheritance.

	Craig (mwizard@eecs.ee.pdx.edu)