[comp.windows.ms.programmer] win3kit.com

jordan@aero.org (Larry M. Jordan) (02/20/91)

John Munsch suggests that I use win3kit.com to "merge" the
SDK libraries with zortechs zl?.lib's.  I will rush home
and try this.  Thank You.

Will my floating point problems go away after this?  Just what
happens when I use floating point and link as follows?

    link appname,,/nod slibcew libw zls pls

Whose emulator am I getting (I have no 80x87)? SDK's, Zortech's or
a little of both?!  Petzold's freemem.c example (which computes
available virtual memory as a floating point) causes that all
too familiar screen to appear (which in effect says "Terminating
ill-behaved application..." when compiled with Zortech, but behaves
fine when FP ops are replaced with fixed point ops.

Vale,

--Larry

Non calor sed umor est qui nobis incommodat.

andreid@jvd.msk.su (Andrei Davydov) (02/21/91)

In article <1991Feb20.025831.8890@aero.org> jordan@aero.org (Larry M. Jordan) writes:
>Will my floating point problems go away after this?  Just what
>happens when I use floating point and link as follows?
>
>    link appname,,/nod slibcew libw zls pls
>
>Whose emulator am I getting (I have no 80x87)? SDK's, Zortech's or
>a little of both?!  Petzold's freemem.c example (which computes
>available virtual memory as a floating point) causes that all
>too familiar screen to appear (which in effect says "Terminating
>ill-behaved application..." when compiled with Zortech, but behaves
>fine when FP ops are replaced with fixed point ops.

Hi! I sow something about problem like yours in article
<1991Feb15.110703.18147@watserv1.waterloo.edu> with subject
"Frequently Asked Questions, comp.windows.ms.programmer edition" from
Tom Haapanen:

11. Why does compiling a Windows application with emulator floating-point
    cause corrupted code segments when running on a non-87 machine?

>>  The emulated floating point tries to used the coprocessor. When it does
    not find one on startup, it patches the code to use the software floating
    point. Patching does however not adapt the code-segment checksum, thus
    the windows debugging version chokes when it horridly founds that some-
    thing terrible must have happened to the code.
    Get rid of it by setting 'EnableSegmentChecksum=0' in the [debug]
    section of WIN.INI; the problem only affects debugging versions of
    Windows.

    --------------------

May be it helps!

Andrei

Andrei Davydov   <andreid@jvd.msk.su>              Phone: +7 095 328-1327
JV Dialogue, Moscow, USSR                          Fax:   +7 095 329-4711

johnm@spudge.UUCP (John Munsch) (02/22/91)

In article <1991Feb20.025831.8890@aero.org> jordan@aero.org (Larry M. Jordan) writes:
>Will my floating point problems go away after this?  Just what
>happens when I use floating point and link as follows?
>
>    link appname,,/nod slibcew libw zls pls
>
>Whose emulator am I getting (I have no 80x87)? SDK's, Zortech's or
>a little of both?!

I have absolutely no idea.  I haven't tried any apps that use floating point
yet so I don't know whether floating point works or not.  I know
Walter Bright has answered a question here once or twice, maybe he could
give us some insight on it.

P.S.	If you try floating point with the ZL?W libs and it works, let me
know.

John Munsch