[comp.windows.ms.programmer] Borland C++ - the final word

jgd@Dixie.Com (John G. DeArmond) (02/22/91)

gw1e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gabriel M. Wachob) writes:

>Ok folks.... There's a TON of Borland pricing numbers flying around for
>Borland C++. here's my situation. I bought TC++ Pro less around 60 days
>ago. I also bought TC 2.0 6 mos. before that. I am a college student and
>VERY poor. I would really like to get Borland C++ as cheap as possible.
>What's the bottom line.. What am I gonna pay for it, if I order today
>(OK, not today, but sometime in the near future)????????

Ok, here it is.  I called the Boreland 800 number (800 331 0877) and got
the poop.  If you own Turbo C++ Professional, the upgrade is $99.  Works
out to $114 with shipping.  If you own JUST Turbo C++, the fee is $199
(I'm not 100% sure on this price, as I was not listening too hard at
that point.).  The $399 price is to upgrade from regular Turbo C or
from a competator.  They ask you for all your serial numbers (TC++, TD,
TA, etc) to determine which version you are upgrading from.

Since Boreland has been offering an "upgrade" from any brand C compiler
for $149 for quite some time (Egghead - $135), it makes little
sense to take this $400 upgrade.

The new TC++ comes with the equivalent of Microsoft's Windows SDK and
some kind of windows library from The Whitewater Group.  I did not ask
about this but the blurb sheet seems to hint that this compiler can
make 386 protected mode DOS programs.  Not sure about this one.

I'm not nearly so tweaked on this offer now, as the added goodies seem
worth the $149.  I have less than zero interest in Windows but who knows -
I might have to one day.  I wish they'd learn how to do direct mail, though.

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC        | "Purveyors of speed to the Trade"  (tm)
Rapid Deployment System, Inc. |  Home of the Nidgets (tm)

tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Terry Jones) (02/27/91)

In article <7152@rsiatl.Dixie.Com> jgd@Dixie.Com (John G. DeArmond) writes:
>Ok, here it is.  I called the Boreland 800 number (800 331 0877) and got
>the poop.  If you own Turbo C++ Professional, the upgrade is $99.  Works
>out to $114 with shipping.  If you own JUST Turbo C++, the fee is $199
>(I'm not 100% sure on this price, as I was not listening too hard at
>that point.).  The $399 price is to upgrade from regular Turbo C or
>from a competator.  They ask you for all your serial numbers (TC++, TD,
>TA, etc) to determine which version you are upgrading from.

Hmmmm... I am sitting here with the letter Borland sent me and
it says that if you are a registered owner of Turbo C or Turbo C++ the
upgrade is $149

If you are a registered Turbo C professional or Turbo C++ professional you
can upgrade for $99

yeates@motcid.UUCP (Tony J Yeates) (02/28/91)

tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Terry Jones) writes:

>>that point.).  The $399 price is to upgrade from regular Turbo C or
>>from a competator.  They ask you for all your serial numbers (TC++, TD,

Software House just quoted me $359 for BC++ (not an upgrade) - they have stock.
Seems like you might want to shop around.