[comp.windows.ms.programmer] .FNT file format?

mmshah@athena.mit.edu (Milan M Shah) (02/26/91)

Hello.

Does someone know the file format of a .fnt file (ie, the file used by the
SDK font editor)? I would really appreciate if someone can provide this
information to me or point me to any source that might have this information.
Also, is the file format for the new .exe files (those that are win apps,
for eg.) available?

The second is merely an indirect attempt to obtain the format of a .fnt file,
seeing how .fon files are really exe files containing font resources.

Thanks for any help!

Milan
.

dan@txsil.lonestar.org (Dan Lord) (02/27/91)

In article <1991Feb26.004846.26973@athena.mit.edu> mmshah@athena.mit.edu (Milan M Shah) writes:
>Does someone know the file format of a .fnt file (ie, the file used by the
>SDK font editor)? I would really appreciate if someone can provide this
>information to me or point me to any source that might have this information.

I asked the same question a couple months ago and received no response. Since
that time, a fellow worker pointed out to me that the .fnt file format is in
the MS Windows 2.0 SDK (p.639f to be exact). It's too long to reproduce here.
I hope you can find a copy of it.

By the way, I have not yet tried to use this information. I'm assuming that
the 3.0 format is the same (of course, you know that this assuming is a
dangerous business.)

mmshah@athena.mit.edu (Milan M Shah) (02/28/91)

>>Does someone know the file format of a .fnt file (ie, the file used by the
>>SDK font editor)? I would really appreciate if someone can provide this
>>information to me or point me to any source that might have this information.
>
>I asked the same question a couple months ago and received no response. Since
>that time, a fellow worker pointed out to me that the .fnt file format is in
>the MS Windows 2.0 SDK (p.639f to be exact). It's too long to reproduce here.
>I hope you can find a copy of it.
>
>By the way, I have not yet tried to use this information. I'm assuming that
>the 3.0 format is the same (of course, you know that this assuming is a
>dangerous business.)

Because it boiled down to the choice of whether the SDK 2.11 manuals or I
can inhabitate my dorm room, I no longer have the SDK 2.11 docs (I do have
the diskettes though...). Anyway, I noticed that when you go to save a file
in Font Editor (from SDK 3.0), it asks whether you want to save as 2.0 format
or 3.0 format. Moreover, I had the atrm1111.fnt file from SDK 2.11, and
Font Editor said that the file was in an unknown format. So, I assume that
2.0 .fnt files have a different format.

Right now, I am trying to use norton's disk file viewer to piece together the
format of a .fnt file - and getting nowhere very quickly. So, does someone have
the answer? Please?

Thanks!

Milan
.

spolsky-joel@cs.yale.edu (Joel Spolsky) (02/28/91)

To those of you who were looking for the Font-File Format, there is a
document put out by Microsoft called "Font-File Format" which
describes the .FNT file format in full.

It is called "Windows 3.0 Developers Notes" and costs $20.00. It is
Microsoft Part Number 050-030-313, you can call up Microsoft and order
it. This packet also includes:

	* Developing Network Applications for Windows 3.0
	* Executable File Header Format
	* Setup Sources (to make Windows SETUP programs)
	  (Includes a disk)
	* Windows Write and Windows Calendar File Formats
	* Windows INT 21 and NetBIOS Support for DPMI
	* Writing International Applications for Windows 3.0

--
Joel Spolsky          // And these streets, Quiet as a sleeping army
spolsky@cs.yale.edu   // Send their battered dreams to heaven.   _Paul Simon

goodearl@world.std.com (Robert Goodearl) (02/28/91)

The font file format is in the DDK (Device Driver Kit) documentation for
Windows 3.0.  I suggest you call Microsoft at 800-426-9400 and ask if there
is any other way to get the font file format.  (The DDK is $500.)

--
Bob Goodearl -- goodearl@world.std.com