[comp.windows.ms.programmer] PFM file format

jlr1801@aim1.tamu.edu (Jeff Rife) (03/01/91)

Does anyone know where I can find info on the .PFM file format for fonts?
I need info for both HP/PCL-style and PostScript formats.

Failing that, if anyone knows of a program that will allow me to
examine/manipulate these files, that would be as helpful.

E-mail or post replies, as appropriate.

If I get enough e-mail, with nothing to the newsgroup, I'll summarize.

Thanks in advance.

--
Jeff Rife   P.O. Box 3836   |   "Because he was human; because he had goodness;
College Station, TX 77844   |    because he was moral they called him insane.

mguyott@eriador.prime.com (03/01/91)

The Windows Developer's Notes which are a Microsoft Technical Publication
and can be purchased for about $20.00 by calling 800-426-9400 has a five
page section on font files.  I'm not sure if this would be of any help
to you or not.                                                Marc
----
Two of the worst things we teach our children are that a knowledge of science
is nice but not necessary, and a knowledge of sex is necessary but not nice.

Marc Guyott              Constellation Software, Inc.          (508) 620-2800
                         Framingham, Mass. 01701 USA                Ext. 3135
mguyott@primerd.prime.com       ...!{uunet, decwrl}!primerd.prime.com!mguyott

jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org (Joe Morris) (03/01/91)

jlr1801@aim1.tamu.edu (Jeff Rife) writes:

>Does anyone know where I can find info on the .PFM file format for fonts?
>I need info for both HP/PCL-style and PostScript formats.

The .PFM file structure is documented in the Device Driver Kit.  (The DDK
includes sources for a somewhat outdated copy of the HPPCL.DRV driver.
It includes an editor for PFM files.)

The Programmer's Shop (1-800-something) carries the DDK for the same price
as the SDK.  Sorry, I don't recall the numbers and don't have a catlog handy.

I don't think that there's any difference in the .PFM layout between PCL
and PS (except for which section of WIN.INI the name appears).

Maybe some kind soul from Microsoft could post the info to SIMTEL20... (hint)

Joe Morris