[comp.windows.ms.programmer] Looking for good technical Windows books

gub@vaxeline.ftp.com (Glen Daniels) (03/01/91)

Hi, all.

	I'm looking for some good books on developing under Windows.
Topics I'd really like to see covered in addition to a good general
guide are:

	o The scheduler in detail - how it works, how to use it, how
		to write real-time applications under it.
	o Differences in Windows modes to your application
	o DPMI
	o DDE

	Any suggestions?

	Thanks in advance,

		--Gub (Glen Daniels, gub@ftp.com)
		"Specialization is for insects."

spolsky-joel@cs.yale.edu (Joel Spolsky) (03/02/91)

In article <1335@vaxeline.ftp.com> gub@vaxeline.ftp.com.UUCP (Glen Daniels) writes:

>	I'm looking for some good books on developing under Windows.

The topics you mentioned are the kinds of topics often covered in
Microsoft Systems Journal, which I have found invaluable in learning
about some of the more technical aspects of programming Windows.

--
Joel Spolsky          // And these streets, Quiet as a sleeping army
spolsky@cs.yale.edu   // Send their battered dreams to heaven.   _Paul Simon

ebergman@isis.cs.du.edu (Eric Bergman-Terrell) (03/04/91)

Does Microsoft "unbundle" the printed documentation in the SDK - in other
words can you buy it seperately?  If so, how much?

Terrell

donnel@helix.nih.gov (Donald A. Lehn) (03/05/91)

In article <1991Mar4.150734.28127@isis.cs.du.edu> ebergman@isis.UUCP (Eric Bergman-Terrell) writes:

>Does Microsoft "unbundle" the printed documentation in the SDK - in other
>words can you buy it seperately?  If so, how much?
>
>Terrell

The Microsoft Windows SDK manuals can be found at most bookstores (at least
at B.Daltons).  There are 3 manuals and they run about 24-29 bucks each.
Best regards,
Don Lehn