[comp.windows.ms.programmer] Borland C++ Debugger

dave@wucs1.wustl.edu (David T Mitchell III) (03/02/91)

For those who don't have BCC, the debugger has one feature that makes the
whole package worth it.  A (text-based) dialog box can be set up to log and/or
break on windows messages, ala Spy.  It traps messages for window handels
as well as procedures, and they're displayed in a human-readable format (for
example: WM_COMMAND 12 12345).

So, imagine being able to fire up the debugger and say:

	1.  Log all MOUSE message sent to hMyWindow
	2.  Log all messages sent to WndProc
	3.  Break whenever hMyWindow recieves a WM_LBUTTONDOWN

Nice!  Much better than trying to run Spy to figure out what's going on.

dave	dave@wucs1.wustl.edu
	the mira corporation
	314/434/4343

rogerson@secola.Columbia.NCR.COM (03/06/91)

In article <1991Mar1.215836.21199@cec1.wustl.edu> dave@wucs1.wustl.edu (David T Mitchell III) writes:
>For those who don't have BCC, the debugger has one feature that makes the
>whole package worth it.  A (text-based) dialog box can be set up to log and/or
>break on windows messages, ala Spy.  It traps messages for window handels
>as well as procedures, and they're displayed in a human-readable format (for
>example: WM_COMMAND 12 12345).

	CodeView for Windows also does this. (page 7-4 of the Tools manual)

>So, imagine being able to fire up the debugger and say:
>
>	1.  Log all MOUSE message sent to hMyWindow
		wwm hMyWindow m

>	2.  Log all messages sent to WndProc
		wwm WndProc

>	3.  Break whenever hMyWindow recieves a WM_LBUTTONDOWN
		wbm hMyWindow WM_LBUTTONDOWN

If you want to capture output to a file redirect CodeView's output with
a '>'.

-----Dale
	Rogerson-----

petergo@microsoft.UUCP (Peter GOLDE) (03/07/91)

In article <1991Mar1.215836.21199@cec1.wustl.edu> dave@wucs1.wustl.edu (David T Mitchell III) writes:
>For those who don't have BCC, the debugger has one feature that makes the
>whole package worth it.  A (text-based) dialog box can be set up to log and/or
>break on windows messages, ala Spy.  It traps messages for window handels
>as well as procedures, and they're displayed in a human-readable format (for
>example: WM_COMMAND 12 12345).

FYI, you can also do this with CodeView for Windows.
Check out the "wwm" (Windows Watch Message) and "wbm" (Windows Break
Message) commands.

--Peter Golde

brad@huey.Jpl.Nasa.GOV (Brad Hines) (03/07/91)

In article <1991Mar1.215836.21199@cec1.wustl.edu>, dave@wucs1.wustl.edu (David T Mitchell III) writes:
For those who don't have BCC, the debugger has one feature that makes the
whole package worth it.  A (text-based) dialog box can be set up to log and/or
break on windows messages, ala Spy.  It traps messages for window handels
as well as procedures, and they're displayed in a human-readable format (for
example: WM_COMMAND 12 12345).

So, imagine being able to fire up the debugger and say:

	1.  Log all MOUSE message sent to hMyWindow
	2.  Log all messages sent to WndProc
	3.  Break whenever hMyWindow recieves a WM_LBUTTONDOWN

Nice!  Much better than trying to run Spy to figure out what's going on.

I like Borland, too, but Codeview has done this all along...

--
Brad Hines
Internet: brad@huey.jpl.nasa.gov